Circle completes itself


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Gwynedd » Pwllheli
August 12th 2009
Published: August 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

CastleCastleCastle

Castle in Conwy, close to the main road.
I have been in the United Kingdom for nearly two weeks. The year completes a circle as I returned to Ray's house in Lincolnshire for a whistle-stop visit. There, I found clothes and maps of Eastern European cities and toiletries and other things deemed too heavy to bring back to Nova Scotia last December. I tucked some of them into my bulging luggage, then left the rest for another visit....someday when I pack a lighter bag. This has been an incredible year, in terms of travel and new experiences and connecting with family members. A fraction of my experiences have been captured in this travelblog. The photographs are the best part. I will pour over them during the winter months when back at work and my gypsy rovings are fading memories.
But not now! I am in Wales, in territory new to me. August is the last month of the deferred year, and I'm spending it in the United Kiingdom, visiting cousins, meeting other cousins for the first time, and going to corners that I've never been. I'm here in Pwllheli with friends. I've taken photos of places around the pennisula. Lovely countryside with long beaches and old castles and quaint
Smallest HouseSmallest HouseSmallest House

The smallest house in the United Kingdom is on the waterfront in Conwy, Wales. The lady is dressed in traditional constume.
villages are to be found.
August is a busy time in Wales. Lots of tourists in caravans, boats and cars journey to the beach communities. Narrow country lanes are even more trickier to navigate; parking is a nightmare. Despite the challenges, north Wales is a beautiful place to visit.
It is great to be the tourist once again. There is history and culture to discover here. My friends speak Welsh, and when we were driving along the lanes it occurred to me that Welsh sounds like the Elfish language in the movies 'Lord of the Rings'. I wonder if Tolkiens was influenced by this language when he wrote those books?


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Train up SnowdonTrain up Snowdon
Train up Snowdon

See the steam train cruising up the side of Snowdon mountain?
Under the mountainUnder the mountain
Under the mountain

The road beneath Snowdon
Renewed VillageRenewed Village
Renewed Village

Nant Gwrtheyrn was once a thriving village for workers in a granite quarrie. By 1959 it was a ghost town. Today it is renewed as a centre for learning Welsh.
RetreatRetreat
Retreat

Modern cafe at Nant Gwrtheyrn also serves as kitchen for visiters attending various conferences. On this day I think there was a retreat for religious studies.
Welsh CakesWelsh Cakes
Welsh Cakes

The Welsh cakes are like fried scones, and the Bara Brith is like a fruit cake; both are delicious in the cafe at Nant Gwrtheyrn.
CountrysideCountryside
Countryside

Heather is a purple carpet on the slopes.
Towards villageTowards village
Towards village

The photo is taken in the village of Morfa Nefyn, looking back towards the coast and Nant Gwrtheyrn.
Church by the SeaChurch by the Sea
Church by the Sea

Church near beach at Aberdaron.
TouristTourist
Tourist

Through the window of church
Y Gegin FawrY Gegin Fawr
Y Gegin Fawr

700 years ago pilgrims stopped for a meal here when on their way to Bardsey Island. Now it is a lovely tea room.
Tea RoomTea Room
Tea Room

A popular cafe, they ran out of food when we got there. No problem because we stopped for tea.
Whistling SandsWhistling Sands
Whistling Sands

Shuffle your feet in this sand and it will whistle. I heard it.
Coastal pathCoastal path
Coastal path

Tourists strole the paths near Whistling Sands.
On TopOn Top
On Top

We drove up Uwch Mynydd but the fog had rolled in and we couldn't see the nearby islands.
HeatherHeather
Heather

Gorse and heather carpet Uwch Myndd.
Abersoch BeachAbersoch Beach
Abersoch Beach

Abersoch is a popular resort town.


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 32; dbt: 0.097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb