Brecon to Llandudno


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Conwy » Llandudno
July 21st 2015
Published: July 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Builth WellsBuilth WellsBuilth Wells

Keen campers at the Royal Welsh Show.
Tuesday 21 July 2015

This morning we part company with our daughter and son-in-law as we head northwest towards Snowdonia. This part of Wales has been on our list for some time, so after a delicious salmon and scrambled egg breakfast and farewells we set off with a sense of anticipation. Welsh weather this morning is a mix of cloud and a hint of sun, but no sign of rain so far.

Very pleasant driving took us through farmland and woodland spread across rolling countryside. Villages appeared and disappeared behind us. Signs gave advance warning of delays in the town of Builth Wells. This wasn't too bad despite the crowds assembling for the Royal Welsh Show, on every day this week. We drove slowly past what is clearly a huge event spread out over several large sites. Crowds were arriving on foot and we smiled to see the wearing of gumboots was de rigeur, particularly by young women in summer shorts. It wasn't raining but they were prepared. We passed a very large camping ground crowded with closely sited caravans and awnings. We wondered how this would be when the rain returned, probably later today.

Before long we
Cambrian MountainsCambrian MountainsCambrian Mountains

Someone's nice house.
reached Aberystwyth on the west coast, eventually finding our way to the promenade with its line up of seaside guest houses, an old former university and the remains of a castle. A brisk walk along the promenade soon sent us back to the shelter of the car and our journey resumed. We turned away from the coast to take the most direct route north to Llandudno, our final destination today. Congratulating ourselves on our superb timing which would have us arrive at the time we had indicated to our prospective host, we were taken aback when, without warning, we found the road before us closed. No detour was indicated, but we and others followed a truck which immediately U-turned and headed back towards the coast, taking a longer, less direct route. The extra traffic slowed our driving and our GPS was distraught, commanding us to do a U-turn for many kilometres. Eventually Polly conceded defeat, falling into line with our revised route. We were pathetically grateful she had capitulated.

All that remained was for us to negotiate rush hour traffic trying to enter and leave Bangor. What a relief to finally make it onto the dual carriageway road that
AberystwythAberystwythAberystwyth

The beach front .
led us past Conwy Bay, through a tunnel under the estuary of the River Conwy and finally into the seaside town of Llandudno dressed in its summer best for the happy crowds of holiday makers. As Polly frequently says, "You have arrived."


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Aberystwyth Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth

Looking towards the castle remains.
SnowdoniaSnowdonia
Snowdonia

Typical scenery as we enter the National Park from the south.
Ffestiniog Ffestiniog
Ffestiniog

Just before we had to turn around.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb