Enjoying Cardiff Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Carmarthenshire
October 30th 2012
Published: October 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Left London on train and arrived in Cardiff last night. Very nice guesthouse - Church's Guesthouse - http://www.churchguesthouse.co.uk/ with a very nice looking young man as the manager who talks a mile a minute. Very attentive to our needs and wants to be sure we're happy. Haven't even paid the bill yet. Guess they do that when we check out Friday.

Today we went on a tour "Mines & Mountains." Went down into an old coal mine (Big Pit) 300' into the dark. Had to put on hard hats and head lamps. Damp, wet, dark, slippery and sometimes low beams that you had to bend down to get under. Was definitely an experience, but it's one of those "done that - not again." Then we started driving through "Brecon Beacons National Park" which is 519 miles of land which is owned by the people - farmers still live and work the land - lots of sheep in Wales - 9 million now and in the spring there will be 15 million with the new lambs. Saw a few cattle and horses - mostly sheep.

Then we went into Brecon and ate lunch at St. Mary's Church cafe -- http://www.stmarysbrecon.org.uk/towercafe/. Wonderful food and they set up tables on one side of the sanctuary so you ate your lunch right in the church. Quite unique.

Then we continued to the Brecon Catherdal. The site dates back to 1023 and has quite a long and interesting history - http://www.breconcathedral.org.uk/, but is now Chuch of Wales. Then headed further into the National Park to the visitor's center while 2 young people went on a hike with the guide. Roxie and I watched a movie about the park and the area in general - quite interesting until I fell asleep.

The driver dropped us off at a local pub called "Cricketers." I had chicken in garlic sauce with potatoes while Roxie had pork tenderloin and black pudding. Then we walked back to the guesthouse. More touring tomorrow.

Advertisement



31st October 2012

Done that- not again
Hi Delaine, So glad you got to make your trip. It sounds delightful so far. I especially liked that you had so much fun on 'The Eye'. It's good you can relax after all the stress you were under for so long. Did you fly BA? I flew them once (economy) on my way to Ireland(2005) and it was the worst flight I've ever experienced- I mean EVER!!!. Glad you got out of NYC when you did as a few days later you would have been stuck in NYC for days. I used to have a 2nd cousin who lived in Cardiff (she probably still does).We were penpals when we were in high school 50 years ago. The relationship stopped as we got a bit older and had other interests. Keep writing. Carolyn
31st October 2012

Trip
Thank you for the comments. I actually took American Airlines and used points to fly 1st class. Seats fold out into full length bed so I was rested when I arrived. It has been cold here for a Floridian. Fortunately, I've never had many problems with American unless it was mechanical or weather, which could happen to any of them.
31st October 2012

Paris
The Thornburgs and Jones went off to Paris via Chunnel. Walked around the ever-fascinating CHamps d'Elysee. Looked at renaults and ate Haagen-daz.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb