Reverse Colonisation... moving to "old" South Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Cardiff
May 18th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our house and carOur house and carOur house and car

Our place is the one to the right of the big hedge
We had a whirlwind couple of days in Preston packing and sorting last minute details before hiring a car and cruising down the M6 in some spectacularly miserable weather to Wales. We arrived in Cardiff to find it green and pretty and wet. My digs are some fairly depressing nurses quarters with small rooms similar to college but less well maintained! Mick spent the first couple of nights at a local YHA with some weird residents. One guy would ask him each day where he was from and then ignore any further attempts at conversation….

Since then he’s been slumming it on the floor of my room on a backpacker mattress that is way too skinny and makes nice squeaky air noises every time you move. I’ve met a couple of the people on the floor but everyone’s pretty quiet. We’ve pretty much had free reign of the kitchen and lounge as everyone seems to heat their ready-meals in the microwave and hang out in their rooms.

My first week of work was a bit nerve-wracking…first time working in a big hospital doing acute adult work!! Everyone is really nice though and I mostly followed other people around seeing
Our roomOur roomOur room

Told you it had to be seen to be believed!
what they do. Mick has been kept busy sorting out all the other details… finding cars, accommodation, sorting details so I can get home and chill.

He's been pretty successful and we've now got Vicki the Volkswagen, our ancient diesel hatchback with about 200,000 miles on the clock and no power steering, and a share house to live in with 3 other guys. The house is pretty basic and our room comes complete with a bunk double bed which has to be seen to be believed, but it's cheap and close to work with wi-fi internet. Our flatmates are ok, Rangika's Dad owns the place and he's a dental student, Ru is a quiet and arty English Lit student and about 18 and Davide is Italian, very friendly and works at a local hospital as a healthcare assistant.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Pembroke housePembroke house
Pembroke house

Classy digs they are indeed.


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb