And then the travellers were down to one


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
August 12th 2006
Published: August 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Figment at Loch Awe - Monday 7thFigment at Loch Awe - Monday 7thFigment at Loch Awe - Monday 7th

Well as you couldn't be with us on our trip we substituted you for a 'figment of our imagination'!!

Saturday


We woke to clear blue skies and so set off for a bit of a walk (before we had to check out at 12.00), we popped into a café in the city centre for a bacon sandwich, coffee and orange juice before heading past the St Enoch centre to the Clyde. We walked along the Clyde for a bit and saw the science centre and new pedestrian bridge and then crossed beneath the Kingston Bridge and then back up towards the hotel to check out. We then drove towards the river again (catching sight of loads of people heading to the world pipe band championships on Glasgow Green) and then made the decision to head out of the city. We headed out towards the coast, and stopped at the Jolly Friar by Lochwinnoch for lunch (OK, but nothing startling).

Toby’s train left from the Central station at 17.40 so we headed out a bit further to Kilwinning to get stuff for a pack lunch for Toby and give us chance to finish the talking book story. I waved Toby off at Kilwinning station and then drove over to Gran’s.


Sunday


A little lie in followed by a bacon sandwich (heaven) then we drove up to Cardwell to have a look around the garden centre, and then had lunch there too before driving back down to Saltcoats in the sunshine. Liz and Finn popped round in the afternoon and we took Finn down to the front where he was desperate to go on the little amusements (and kept pestering Liz, who said that he been on before and didn’t like it), then when she gave in he started screaming the place down as soon as the ride started moving. So we retire to sitting on the sea wall and watching the sea which was a bit calmer.

We stopped to collect Chinese on the way back up the road and Finn saw a train pulling into the station and so was very chuffed.

Liz and Finn then headed home and Gran and I watched a bit of TV.

Monday



It dawned another great day for weather, and so we decided to go over to Mount Stuart House on Bute. We headed up to Wemyss Bay, where I parked the car and then took the Ferry over as foot passengers. We picked up a bus at the end of the pier at Rothesay that then took us the 5 or so miles up to the house. (on the way we saw a seal basking out on a rock.

The house was amazing, very ornate with marble all over the place and huge paintings and tapestries. Almost every ceiling was covered in detail; one had astrological signs, while another had shields showing the heraldry of the entire family tree.

After a few hours exploring we stopped for lunch at the visitor centre at about 2.00 and then headed back to the pier to pick up the ferry. On arriving back Aunt Aileen popped round and we had a cup of tea and after a nap (needed after I was sick, not sure why think I just probably got a bit too warm) I came back downstairs and saw Iain, Catherine and the kids who were round for a while. Gran and I then watched TV for a bit, and then to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb