Scotland Travel


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 5th 2010
Published: June 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Great meeting Hall - Stirling CastlesGreat meeting Hall - Stirling CastlesGreat meeting Hall - Stirling Castles

The ceiling is made with NO nails.
We have spent nearly a week in Scotland and while things are fresh on my mind I wanted to write it down for anyone who might be traveling to the same areas. (Thus one of the purposes of a travel blog so others can get information on where they may be traveling. Part of the time our sightseeing has been with Adam, and the other we ventured on our own.

We are always interested in what others find interesting and where the better places to go are so this is my opinions and thoughts on what we have seen. We jammed a lot in a little amount of time, but you could spend as little or as much time in each place as your time allows.

FIRST - GET A TOMTOM! Any GPS really, but we have a TOMTOM, we call her Lola. We were able to buy the map and with the help of some great technicians we got it all loaded the day before we left. I do not recommend you wait that long however, as it was very stressful wondering if it was indeed going to work.

However, 'she' is amazing. We have had to
TravelingTravelingTraveling

This was shot driving down the road north through the Highlands.
make a few U-turns, but all in all I can't imagine getting to the places we did with the ease that we did without it. She took the stress out of the mapping for sure. Who's in charge of the directions in your family? It doesn't matter - give it up to Lola and she'll make your trip a whole lot more enjoyable. I got my TOMTOM at Best Buy on sale for $79, and I think the United Kingdom and Ireland map (which includes Scotland) was $65. WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY!

RENT A CAR! We were debating about whether or not to rent or be dependent on the ones we were visiting. Whether you are going alone, or to visit, I recommend you get a rental car; thus, the need for the TOMTOM. Remember they drive on the left side of the road. This year, June 2010, there has been a lot of detours and road construction, but Lola got us through every one. Gas is right at $7 a GALLON, so be prepared for the cost of fuel.

GET AN EXPLORER PASS - This is a pass that has a listing of 78 different attractions you
Laggan DamLaggan DamLaggan Dam

Driving on our way to Elean Donan stopped to take this picture. Scotland has lots of water, lochs (Lakes), and a large lock system to mover things along.
can visit over the course of several days covering all of Scotland. Pay a 3 day price of 22 pds. per adult, 12 pds. for a child, of 44 pds. for a family or you can also get a 7 day pass for 31.50 pds. 17.50 pds. or 63 pds. for those same above. Now, the neat thing about this is ... you can visit as many as you want in one day, then skip a day and not visit any, then go again. The first one you visit on any particular day will write the date in. Then any attractions for that day will be included as ONE day. Then if you don't do anything for 3 days, and then on the 4th day you visit another attraction, the first attraction of the day with put the date in and that will be your SECOND day of the pass. Makes since if you are planning on visiting several. There are a few attractions that are not on the Pass that you will still have to pay to get into, but we saved by buying it.

The list of destinations that this brief itinerary includes is as follows:
Elean Donan CastleElean Donan CastleElean Donan Castle

This was by far my favorite from the standpoint of great viewing. We sat for a while and just looked at it.

Cumbernauld, Edinburgh, Glascow, Stirling, and Inverness are the general areas we visited. Not hard to go from top to bottom in one day - but some planning is necessary to get the most in without backtracking. Some of the places are within 30 minutes of Cumbernauld so not hard to get to for a quick visit.

Cumbernauld - A nice little town just outside Glascow maybe 25 minutes. All the necessities you could need and a congregation in the Westfield area. Watch for Tesco, it is a large supermarket type Wal-Mart store for anything you need you may have forgotten

In the Cumbernauld area Adam took us to visit Doune Castle, then just north to Stirling to Wallace Monument.

Doune Castle (Included in Discovery Pass)- A ruin castle, meaning no modern family lives there and no modern updates other than visitor rest rooms have been made. It is where part of the movie 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' was filmed. Sits on really nice grounds, and easy to get to.

Stirling - just north of Cumbernauld - we visited Stirling Castle and Wallace Monument.

Wallace Monument is stunning! It is a fairly newer structure
Elean Donan CastleElean Donan CastleElean Donan Castle

View from the back side. The tide was out.
dedicated to William Wallace. He was the man who Mel Gibson portrayed in 'Braveheart'. When you get to the monument you can walk to the top without paying. It is not for the faint of heart, but when taken a step or two at a time anyone should be able to make it up. I do think there are facilities to carry you up if you have the need and cannot walk up. Once you get to the top the actual museum requires additional pay to get into it. It is not on the Discovery Pass. We did not go up in it. Just viewed it from the outside. You can see for miles and miles up there. You will also see Stirling Castle in the distance - which seems small from there, but once you get closer is massive sitting up on the cliffs.

Stirling Castle - (Not on the Discovery Pass) One of the larger castles and much more updated that those that are classified as ruin castles. It is undergoing some renovations, and had we known that we might not have paid to go in. It is amazing however, and there are tapestries, as well as
Urquhart CastleUrquhart CastleUrquhart Castle

This Castle sits on Loch Ness. We were just waiting for Nessie to pop her head up in the background.
a magnificent dining hall. It sits on top of cliffs and can be seen for miles. It is obviously very well fortified and in its day quiet intimidating.

Edinburgh (Included in the Explorer Pass), southeast of Glascow and Cumbernauld and only a 45 min drive. When going into Edinburgh DO NOT DRIVE into town. Go to the airport and there is a Park and Ride lot. You can park your car there for FREE then take the bus into town for 1.2 pounds (aprox $2 a person at current rates). Get off the bus at Prince Street and you can walk to the main attractions we visited. You can also do the Park and Ride and get a day pass for a little more and it allows you to get on and off all day at any of the stops. Wear good walking shoes, and pray for no rain. The minute you get to Edinburgh you will be thrilled to no ends that you did not drive!

Go early in the morning or late afternoon - try to avoid the middle of the day. Take the guided tour for sure, and then spend your own time wandering around.
Urquhart CastleUrquhart CastleUrquhart Castle

View from the top of the grounds. The Castle covered everything you see within the walls, which were nearing 40 inches thick.
(The guided tour only takes about 30 mins).

Before going up the hill to Edinburgh Castle, there are two free Museums, however we did not have time to go into them.

After coming out of Edinburgh Castle, walk down the hill and you will run into what they call the Royal Mile. Shopping galore. Also, you will want to visit Giles Cathedral. It is free to enter and has spectacular stain glass windows.

After hanging out on The Royal Mile, you will want to make your way back down to Princes Street. Several cross streets will get you down depending on where you are on the Royal Mile. We just asked a policeman eating ice cream and he pointed us in the right direction.

After making your way back to Princes St. You will want to visit the Sir Walter Scott Monument. You will have seen it at several places during the day as you look out over Edinburgh. It is spectacular AND you can go in and up the entire thing. Nearly 300 steps straight up. I do not recall the exact number. There is an additional fee to go in and up, but we
Hands in Loch NessHands in Loch NessHands in Loch Ness

I dipped in the Loch Ness first and mentioned how cold it was. Anthony figured it out too!!
choose to stay on the ground.

There will be no trouble finding anything to eat or drink in Edinburgh - you are surrounded by a very modern city. We ended up at McDonald's and ate a Big Mac and a Quarter Pounder with Cheese. Then when you are done, find your bus number - 48x I think is the one back to the airport - hop on and enjoy the ride in.

Linlithgow Palace - (Included in Discovery Pass) It is located north of Edinburgh. One of my favorites! It sits in a great little town setting, has it's own church, and is bordered by fabulous grounds and a lake. The day we were there was gorgeous and it was filled all round with people either sunning on the lawns, sail boating or fishing on the lake, or enjoying the castle itself. You are allowed to go to the very top of the castle wall, where you have a fabulous view all round.

It is one of the ruin castles as well, but is better shape that Doune or Urquhart. BE SURE and visit the Church before you leave. It was founded in 1242 St. Michael's, and
Thorns Beware!Thorns Beware!Thorns Beware!

These flowers are EVERYWHERE .... they smell great ... BUT are absolutely filled with thorns. I found out the hard way.
has one of the most incredible stained glass windows I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Dornie - (Not on the Discovery Pass) Home of the Elean Donan Castle. The castle that was featured in the first 'Highlander Movie' which starred Sean Connery and Christopher Lamberth. MY FAVORITE for exterior viewing. It is picturesque and absolutely stunning. It sits on the water and as the tide comes in and out you can see the castle's reflection in the water. It has a long stone arched bridgeway and the interior of the castle has been refurbished. The interior is livable and not as "castle'esque", but beautiful all the same. If we had to do it again we would get a Bed and Breakfast, go up later in the day so you can see it at sunset, and then stay the night there or in a nearby village before going up to Urquhart at Loch Ness.

Urquhart Castle - (Included in the Discovery Pass) up the A82 highway towards Inverness. It sits right on Loch Ness. It is a ruins castle and has the best viewing of what it possibly looked like in the day it was completed. We really enjoyed this one as well. You have a great view at the top of the north wall and it was built on grounds that are varying heights. This gives you a great advantage to be able to see just how large the grounds were when complete.

We stopped at a small town called St. Augustus on the way south from Urquhart and ate some of the best fish at a small place called Canalside Chip Shop. It sits right on the locks and you can sit on benches at the lock and watch the water flowed through.

Enjoy the pictures .... we have Sunday and then come Monday make our way back to Tennessee.
Love you all - thanks for the prayers for our safety.
Shasta


Advertisement



5th June 2010

Looks like lots of fun! just ken
10th July 2010

Where Edinburgh is the second most visited tourist place in the UK, Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland. Both the places reflects the culture of modern Scotland. You get a plenty of cottages in Scotland for a homely stay.
2nd August 2010

Thanks so much for your trip report. We are leaving for 2 weeks in Scotland this week, appreciate your great tips!
8th May 2012

nice blog post. also visit Greenlet and give me feedback
14th July 2013

live in Alabama want to go to Scotland
hello. I thank you for your blog..I am saving to go to Scotland one day. I am thinking of camping out for some of my visit since I want to be able to afford to stay for a month when I do go.. however I am 61 yrs old and a widow..so there is a lot to be considered. I just wanted to say hello and thanks.. if you don't mind I might want to ask questions in the future about your trip.
30th July 2013

scotland questions
you bet .... just ask away .. about scotland, africa, us ... any of our travels.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb