Dai's Slow lejog


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
August 10th 2009
Published: September 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Stirling to Killin


Day 28 Stirling to Killin 39 miles (890)




Having travelled out to Stirling by train I set off through cornfields on quiet roads towards Callander. Passing through Doune I crossed a fine clear river with dippers and grey wagtails and stopped and watched red squirrels in the trees. Getting in to Callander I stopped to buy some lunch but carried it on a few miles as the town was overrun with coach parties and tourists. At Callander cycle route 7 picks up a disused railway line and soon runs into much more rugged country with the river tumbling through a ravine at the falls of Leny. I ate my sandwiches here supplementing them with the abundant whinberries and wild raspberries growing under the trees.


Carrying on on NCN 7 the route follows an old railway line along the west side of Loch Lubnaig with pleasant views , with only distant views of the busy main road on the other side. At the end of the loch the route joined a quiet wooded lane which meandered round to the end of Loch Voil and the village of Balquidder. Here I had a cuppa with delicious home made cake at a cafe before setting off again. Carrying on the route stayed on lanes and purpose built cycle way over the watershed to Lochearnhead. At this point the route regains the old railway line by means of a steep zig- zag ascent.

From Lochearnhead the route gently climbs up to the head of Glen Ogle on the old railway line with some spectacular views including a viaduct. At the watershed the route leaves the train track for the last time and there is an exhilarating descent into Killin on forest tracks with fine views across to Loch Tay and Ben Lawers. Stopping to admire the falls on the way into Killin I had a pleasant evening in the Killin Hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb