Midsummer Madness?

United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 23rd 2008
Published: June 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Carrie, our woofer, arrived on Tuesday but weather was unsettled for most of the week (sunny intervals and occasional showers sums it up) too unsettled to do much with the straw though we did get the first 3 veluxes in. Another small step forward.

Picked up Wendy Friday morning, visit by my dad, and my brother Roger and wife Linda in the afternoon. Most of the day spent tidying up in readiness for the party.
Perfect evening a pre-party with early guests, an almost perfect summer's evening/night with a beautiful creamy moon, just past full, in an almost clear sky.

Party Day - Wendy and I decided to spend some time prepping bales (a eupemism if ever I heard one) whilst waiting the arrival of the guests.
Weather at this point still glorious. people arrived throughout the afternoon and were given the conducted tour of the house.
We set off down to the beach for the party early evening by which time weather was looking decidely iffy.

Joined the party or rather parties on the beach as there were already 2 fires one on the beach and the other in a more sheltered
Midsummer's Evening Midsummer's Evening Midsummer's Evening

The first wave of the storm caught us on the beach then back up the hill to try and protect house from easterly winds - reasonably successfully
spot on the edge of the woods. As the rain increased Wendy and I decided to head back up to a) get dry clothes and b) check out our house.
Spent the next hour or so frantically cutting up polythene to cover exposed wall plates, bales etc then joined the party in the house.
By this time there were several parties going on the house, the cart shed and even the poly tunnel anywhere to get out of the rain.
Eventually returned to the main party on the beach and spent a pleasant couple of hours sitting round the main fire where songs were sung and tales told. Fireworks were fired then a wicka man constructed by some friends from Edinburgh was duly set alight to everyone's delight. The rain got heavier and most people headed back up the hill to one of the houses or the cart shed to continue partying.

Sunday was still wet and we spent the first hour or so sweeping water from the house (fortunately the straw had remained dry. The weather did pick up briefly but mainly a day for sitting about eating and drinking. Fabulous food everybody -
Wicka Man on the beachWicka Man on the beachWicka Man on the beach

It doesn't show how wet it really was
special thanks to John L and Wendy (the usual suspects).

Monday glorious sunny morning so back to work on the house at least for Wendy Carrie and I. Made a bit more progress on north wall another few bales.

Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Mopping up  - the morning afterMopping up  - the morning after
Mopping up - the morning after

It turned into a memorable, if wet, night - see everyone next year when hopefully house will be finished
Sunday Lunch TimeSunday Lunch Time
Sunday Lunch Time

The music was a short interlude as the rain returned

24th June 2008

Another bale in the wall
I'm sorry to have missed the party but the week before the weather was great. Enjoyed helping with the bales and now I know what a hazelnut tree looks like. All I can say is keep up the great work and I admire your drive, aye you Willy (hard taskmaster)and you too Wendy. Margaret and I learned a lot working with you and hope we can be of more help.

Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 18; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb