Highland Fling


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » The Highlands
June 5th 2009
Published: June 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After spending a couple of good weeks with family we were off again to explore Scotland. This time we headed up into the highlands to some trekking. We caught a train about halfway up the West Highland Way and made several treks in the Crianlarich area. Perfect weather was on our side and made this hill-walking even more beautiful. The walk was everything from small farms with livestock roaming the hillsides through dense forests past small waterfalls through more farms, more cows, more sheep, big birds, rabbits and more colors of green than you can imagine.

We had such a good time we headed a little further to the northern end of the Way in Fort William. We did more walking along the beaches of the rivers and along the Lochs watching boats pass. We stopped in several pubs doing beer quality testing. We did a nice afternoon trek on the Ben Nevis path and through another glen. Everybody always says the same thing “The scenery was just beautiful” well to put it best “The scenery was just beautiful”.

A train ride through Harry Potter land and past Braveheart village (the movies were filmed here) and we headed to the capital city, Edinburgh. This place is like stepping back into medieval times across the cobble stone streets to the castles, universities, churches and of course; pubs. We made it to a Highland games out in the country. It’s where the different clans compete to see which family is best and leave with some good old fashioned bragging rights. There was track and field, with the heavy games like shot-put and hammer throws. The bands all kitted out in family colors and the familiar bagpipes leading the way. The dancing girls all are trying to do the best Highland Fling possible.

My mom took me to Edinburgh Castle when we were here years ago. The only thing I really remember was the Crown Jewels of Scotland. It was just as cool now as it was then. An afternoon around town conducting more quality control of various draft beers and whisky, a good time was passed. I am very proud and happy to be half Scottish.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Break timeBreak time
Break time

It's been ten miles already, can I just sit down?
GravesGraves
Graves

Along the West Highland Way
Ben NevisBen Nevis
Ben Nevis

Fort William
Ben Nevis trailBen Nevis trail
Ben Nevis trail

Highest mountain in Britain.
Curvy LanesCurvy Lanes
Curvy Lanes

Edinburgh
The old cityThe old city
The old city

Edinburgh
Band CompetitionBand Competition
Band Competition

Highland Games, Shotts


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb