Glen Nevis


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » The Highlands
April 6th 2021
Published: January 8th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Glen Nevis is one of the most beautiful glens in Scotland, at the foot of Ben Nevis - the highest and most popular mountain in the UK.



Glen Nevis is one of Fort William's best assets. Just a few minutes from town, a very picturesque Highland glen stretches out before your eyes as one enters from the west. Formed on the north by the flank of Ben Nevis and two accessible mountains to the east, the glen is a place of peace and tranquility as well as a place to play and stay.The River Nevis flows through Glen Nevis on its short journey to the sea from the rainfall that pours onto Ben Nevis and the surrounding mountains, and is a major feature of the glen with several spectacular waterfalls.

Tour description by Craig our virtual guide.





Join me as I go exploring in Glen Nevis, deep in the heart of the Scottish Highlands in the shadow of the UK's highest mountain - Ben Nevis. Set in the middle of Lochaber, this area was for centuries seen as
the real "Wild West" - local clans behaved with impunity, and the long arm of Scottish Law was far, far away. This led to the area being home to some of the most warlike and unruly of all the Highland Clans. It is for this reason that the area turned out in great numbers for Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745, and subsequently suffered the most for their loyalty. On this tour we will stroll through the rich tapestry of time, from Iron Age mysteries to bloody clan feuds; from the price of insurrection to the study of climatology; from a competitive game of Quidditch to Mel Gibson in a skirt - Glen Nevis has seen it all. Throw in some fascinating folk lore, towering mountain peaks and tree lined meadows and you have the recipe for a perfect getaway! Meet me in the heather!

http://www.heygo.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement







Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb