WIS Tour - Day 2


Advertisement
Published: January 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today was spent on the beautiful an t-Eilean Sgitheanach, or the Isle of Skye, as it's known to most people. The Isle of Mist and Cloud.
Sligachan was the first stop for the day, in the Red Cuilins. It had been raining so much, the river was just wild. We got to stand in the screaming wind and rain listening to Simon tell us one of the many variations of the legends of Skiach (it's pronounced skih-hath, for those not familiar with Gaelic pronunciation, emphasis on the first syllable). Then it was back on the bus and off to Port Rìgh (Portree), capital of Skye.
Port Rìgh (Port of Kings) is a beautiful little town, what an amazing setting for a town! Would love to live there one day, just to be able to admire the views every single day, and smell that lovely sea air. And of course, hear the Gaelic! We spent about an hour wandering around, getting lunch and such (fab bakery, I must insist that you try it if you're ever in Port Rìgh). Tanya and I climbed up to this little tower that overlooks the harbour. No one seemed to know what it was, and no one else on the tour even noticed that it was there. But still...great views of the town from up there.
Next adventure was hiking up to the Old Man of Storr. Again...beautiful views. But then where in Scotland DOESN'T provide beautiful views? Except maybe Glasgow. Again, got another story from Simon, about one of the legends behind the Storr. He's a good storyteller, Simon. But then, he's just got such a beautiful accent that I could listen him talk about dirt and be enthralled for hours. Nevermind.
Really lucky with the weather. There's been a bit of rain, but the sun's been out a lot too, and it's not cold (well...I don't find it cold...non-Canadian/Scottish members of our group seem to be a bit chilled!).
Kilt Rock was fabulous. The fairy music is very cool, and while the rock itself didn't interest me, Mealt Falls were beautiful. And despite what people will tell you, that's not the mainland that you see in front of you, it's the Isle of Rona. Look at a map...you'll see that it isn't the mainland.
Had a quick stop at Staffin Bay, to get some shots of the Quirang, which is the mountain range just east of the bay.
Delayed in our travels by the herd of cows that felt the need to take up the entire road (which, being single track, isn't difficult) and certainly felt no need at all to pick up the pace!
Duntulm Castle was next on the list. I just love walking through the ruins of castles, especially ones in such dramatic settings. When we were all gathered in the remains of what would have been the dining hall, Simon told us the history of the clan that lived in the castle, and what befell them, and about the ghosts that apparently still haunt the ruins (one of these days I'm going to go to a haunted castle and actually see the haunters...one of these days...). We each spent a bit of time down in the dungeon, which we're technically not supposed to go into, but what's a little fence? Easily hopped. Very squishy...much like I think a prison should be. Not cushy, cozy and luxurious like they are these days.
From Duntulm it was off to Uig (OOOOuu-ig, not You-ig), and right through Uig to the Fairy Glen. Definitely one of my favourite places on Skye, this little glen. We hiked up to the wee Fairy Castle, annoyed the sheep, and just sort of absorbed the atmosphere.
It started to rain as we were driving back down to Broadford, but that was alright, considering we were in a nice, warm bus. Bought dinner supplies in Broadford, and refilled the bus's gas tank so we'd be able to make it north tomorrow.
We got back to Strome Ferry and Charlie said that he would make dinner, it was fine, and so we all went out fishing for scallops with Neil on Loch Carron. I love being out on the water, so this was great for me. I would have loved to have gone swimming, but people looked at me like I was crazy. Besides, if I had done that, I would have missed out on the fresh scallops! First time in my life I have ever eaten a scallop that was literally plucked from the water, had its shell cracked and was scooped out of the shell and handed to me. While it was still twitching. Not quite as bad as I thought that it would be. Actually tastes exactly the same as when it's cooked, only a bit slimier. Neil also fried a bunch up for us in garlic butter. A perfect apetizer for dinner!
Dinner was nice, bangers and mash, nothing fancy, but great company and conversation. After dinner it was time to play pool and drink and be merry. I really suck at pool. I mean...I REALLY suck! But it was a blast. We played with cards, each card representing one ball, and the idea was to sink everyone else's balls before yours got sunk. So yea...good thing we weren't playing for money!!!
And I have to say...these are the most comfortable hostel beds I have ever slept in. Charlie spared no expense with this place!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb