Chairman of the Board


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Stirlingshire
May 27th 2019
Published: May 27th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Dot in the garden at Culross-Outlander note belowDot in the garden at Culross-Outlander note belowDot in the garden at Culross-Outlander note below

This garden was using in filming Outlander. It was used as the herb garden as Castle Leoch that Claire worked in.
We heard some interesting anecdotes today. Not sure if they are true - you be the judge.

We drove to the historic town of Culross, a village trapped in time and now being preserved by the National Trust of Scotland. While touring the main house in town, we came to to the large dining room. The docent told us where some phrases originated:

In the dining room was a long table, which she said is really just a Board placed on a trestle that could be dismantled when not in use to make more room. So...the table is called a Board.

1. According to the laws of hospitality in Scotland back then, if someone knocked on your door you were obligated to provide a room and shelter for the night. If you also provided them a meal, it was served on the board (the table), so you then provided them a "Room and Board."

2. Chairs were not common. Most diners would sit on long benches. But at the head of the table was usually a chair for the laird. Therefore, he was the "Chair Man of the Board."

3. If you were playing cards or any other games, you were supposed to keep your hands above the Board where they could be seen so people would know you weren't cheating. You were keeping them "Above Board."

Culross was much more fun that we expected. Very quaint town. The tour of the main house turned out to be very interesting. A lot of Outlander scenes were filmed there. I don't know how they could fit film crews in these tiny rooms, but they used one for a bedroom scene (hot sex scene) and one for a tavern scene. The huge garden out back - lots of pictures- was used for the herb garden at Castle Leoch.

Sir George Bruce made Culross into what it became. It started as a town where they extracted salt from the water by heating it with coal. Then he realized he could make just as much money from the coal, so he started coal mines. He was a great businessman. I think I would have liked him. However, he was only allowed to ship within Scotland, until he talked the king into granting Culross Royal Borough status so he could ship internationally. He made enough money for the king
Nice garden featureNice garden featureNice garden feature

It is a large terraced garden
that he became a "Sir" instead of just a regular merchant. I guess money could always buy your way to the top.

We found a wonderful small shop in Culross filled with merchandise made locally. It was run by an American woman married to a Scottish photographer. They retired here from Texas and love it. She stocks the shop with things she thinks Americans would like and she does a very good job. I made a small dent in her merchandise.

We went to see the Kelpies-the big horse head statues. Pictures here in the blog. They are surrounded by a huge family oriented park. Kids and dogs everywhere, because the sun was shining for about 15 minutes. They are beautiful and impressive up close. There was also an ice cream truck...much different than the frozen ice cream they serve here. This one had fresh soft serve that was creamy and delicious. Yes, I had to try it to make sure.

We then drove back to Stirling to finally tour Stirling Castle. Much larger complex that we expected. Some rooms have been restored so you can see what things really looked like. This castle is also still in use by the British military. Lots of pictures in the blog. I won't bore you with the history but it was very cool.

Wonderful meal at Nicky Tam's Bar & Bothy. A more casual pub atmosphere compared to last night, but still very good. I had my favorite whiskey yet. Put a picture of the bottle in the blog, with pictures and description of the food.

Dot checked the Trip Advisor reviews for the B&B that we stayed at in Fort William where we didn't like the host because he was too talkative and friendly. All the Trip Advisor reviews raved about him - so helpful, so interesting, so friendly! Is something wrong with us?

14,000 steps today.

Tomorrow is our last day of site-seeing as we start driving toward Edinburgh. Wednesday is a full day of travel home.

Scroll below for the photos. About 50-not sure why there are so many. At the end of the photos is about 5 or 6 flower photos, so most of you can stop there.

Good news: Our tire pressure hazard light did not come onto today, so I guess I didn't mess up the tire. Only two people honked angrily at me today.....in roundabouts. 😞

It is pouring outside right now. Glad we are in for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Shell pathShell path
Shell path

I thought we were walking on a gravel path, but when you look closely it is broken shells
Interesting anecdoteInteresting anecdote
Interesting anecdote

When the merchant ships offloaded their wares, they would then load their ships with material so they wouldn't ride so high in the water for the return trip hope to Culross. They then used this material as roof shingles in Culross. All the houses have the same type of roof.
Dot and the PigDot and the Pig
Dot and the Pig

Not sure why they have a pig statue
View of the main house in CulrossView of the main house in Culross
View of the main house in Culross

They call it a Palace, but it's really a very nice house
Another viewAnother view
Another view

House was owned by a wealthy noble, a very good business man who developed the export of salt and coal in this community. Sir George Bruce.
Street view in the quaint town of CulrossStreet view in the quaint town of Culross
Street view in the quaint town of Culross

Culross is sort of stopped in time and the National Trust of Scotland is trying to preserve it.
Cobble stone streets-difficult to walk onCobble stone streets-difficult to walk on
Cobble stone streets-difficult to walk on

truly made with stones of all shapes and sizes. very uneven.
One more shot.One more shot.
One more shot.

They are 30 meters high, statue of liberty is 93 meters


27th May 2019

Culross
Culross looks very cute! Food looks good! No dessert??? Did you buy me the birdhouse???

Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb