Hidden Valley, Glen Coe


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Stirlingshire » Glen Coe
August 27th 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We woke up a little late today. I was intending to go running this morning, but either my alarm didn't go off or I pretended in half-sleep that it hadn't gone off. Went grocery shopping with the German road bikers that were sharing our room, then headed up to Glen Coe to hike Hidden Valley. This was the 1st time that I had gotten to hike in the Glen, so I was really excited!

Though it rained most of the hike, it was never too heavy. Fine Scottish weather. The pictures probably tell the story better than I could.

The hike only took a few hours, then we drove up to Glenfinnan. This is the site where Bonnie Prince Charles called the Highlanders to rise up against the English in the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745. People still talk about it. Hiked up the short trail to the top of the hill to photograph Loch Shiel, only to find that the trail back down was now blocked by a large buck. He acknowledged my presence, then continued about his business.

That night we headed out to dinner in Ft Willy and local Scotch/beers at a very lively pub called
More Hidden ValleyMore Hidden ValleyMore Hidden Valley

Some of the Highland clans would raid lowland villages, then bring the stolen cattle up the side of the glen to Hidden Valley, which naturally can't be seen from within the glen itself.
the Grog and Gruel. The girl at the hostel (we were now staying at the other one, way up the hill) told us how to find it by drawing a large pig head on our map. I could tell she had done this a number of times, as the pig head was quite amazing. Sure enough, it's hard to miss the protruding snout above The Grog's front door. I spoke for a while with the Canadian girl who was bartending, she had just started working there about a week ago. She still seemed a little culture-shocked by working in a Scottish Pub, so we shared working experiences. Good times.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Glen Coe BirdieGlen Coe Birdie
Glen Coe Birdie

These birds kept coming right up to us. Little beggars.
On the Way Back to the GlenOn the Way Back to the Glen
On the Way Back to the Glen

It was near here that the MacDonalds were slaughtered by the Campbells and English troops, forcing many outdoors into a raging blizzard.
3 Sisters3 Sisters
3 Sisters

Only 2 visible. Sorry, fellas.
The Hike BackThe Hike Back
The Hike Back

The heather gives the ground here a purple hue.
GlenFinnan Rail BridgeGlenFinnan Rail Bridge
GlenFinnan Rail Bridge

Reference Harry Potter movies. You will recognize this.
GlenFinnan, Loch SheilGlenFinnan, Loch Sheil
GlenFinnan, Loch Sheil

Too amazing for words.
Red Deer, GlenFinnanRed Deer, GlenFinnan
Red Deer, GlenFinnan

Let's count the points, shall we?


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb