Ullapool, Ardmair & Loch Maree


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Ross and Cromarty » Ullapool
October 14th 2010
Published: October 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Ullapool


stillstillstill

let's see a pot some copper.... hmmmm
Today's challenge... get back before dinner....
We're going to explore some of the western highlands and sea coast. Notrh to Inverness and then point towards the sea...... whoops there's a distillery over there....
Good news - bad news. Bad news first... the distillery is doing a complete overhaul so there is no tour thru the plant. The good news... the tourist center is still open and we get to do tastings!!!!
Tried the Singelton 12 yr old..... lordy is that stuff smooth. 2 years ago they started to finish the curing by putting it into bourbon and sherry barrels.
OK now that we are all liqoured up, back into the car... We are now convinced that all road engineers in the UK are permanently drunk. Hills, winding roads, 3 lanes 2 lanes, no lanes, dips, cattle gridsAND best of all..... sheep on the road.
Did I mention the road kill tally????? 2 large deer ( 1 huge stag) and hundreds of pheasants.
In Ullapool we had lunch at Seaforths (one of the best pubs in Britain).. haggis & whiskey pie & Orkeny crab claws.
We also went to Ardmair - beautiful location but not much happening there..
Return trip back to
OrdOrdOrd

barrel buidlings
Invergarry by way of Loch Maree & Ben Eigne.
The scenery is extremely striking here. One minute you will be in a dark pine forest and seconds later surrounded by mountains covered in gorse (like a cross between a giant thistle and a juniper) and browned out heather. It leaves the mountains in a reddy brown colour.
Say.... that is some wierd shaped rocks down there...... what! they are moving!! Holy smokes they're seals!!!
Very stark landscape.
Whoa!! We have to get back for dinner!!! Now a mad dash thru the rest of the mountains to get back to the hotel.
Tomorrow - Elgol ( a boat ride), Portree & Ullinish Country Lodge


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

signssigns
signs

these signs don't give you a great deal of faith...
UllapoolUllapool
Ullapool

main street


15th October 2010

Weak Bridge
Do some of the other bridges have signs saying "strong bridge?" I'm amazed how far you drove in one day and made so many stops. That was almost 400 KM!! Many oh man Scotland has some rugged beauty. Great photos.
15th October 2010

Pics
I like the picture of Don sitting on the bench looking out into the landscape. He seems to be very much at home.
16th October 2010

Great pics - it looks so awesome over there - hope you guys are having a wonderful time - lots of driving????

Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb