Roamin in the Gloamin


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Perthshire » Dunkeld
August 7th 2005
Published: May 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Egg #2:

Hi all - the exciting departure date ever approaches - but we've had a bit of a change of plans re timing of leave and initial stops. We've now decided to go to France and Germany (Bavaria) on a drive / camp trip for about a month before leaving for Thailand. Nothing like a bit of sponteneity, eh? This has all came about following our weekend of camping at Roundyhill near Dundee - I'd never been camping before, as I've always operated on the basis that you can't plug a hairdryer into a field. However - I realised that I need to learn to 'ruff it' a bit in prep for Big Trip. Well, we had SO. MUCH. FUN. Apart from the driving rain, total lack of sleep, constantly barking dogs from the Rescue centre along the road and the 'I love an argument at 3am' neighbours from hell in the next tent, it was actually very enjoyable. We particularly enjoyed the BBQ we had on Saturday night. Have to say we were ultra resourceful, having been told we couldnt light our throw-away incendiary device on the grass, we promptly reallocated the positioning of a few tent pegs under the tray and hey presto - instant BBQ stand! I feel a Blue Peter badge should be in the post. Well done Egg #1 - your culinary skills are improving all the time.

Went to Glamis Castle on Saturday - it was brilliant. We only bought tickets for the grounds (£3.50) but that also got us entry into one of the exhibitions on show on the ground floor. Glamis Castle belongs to the (now deceased) Queen Mother's family - and is extremely well maintained. The gardens and surrounding grounds are immaculate, and you could easily spend a day there pottering around. Interestingy enough, this is where the 'Strathmore' brand of spring water is bottled. I didn't know that.

After this, we headed for the little town of 'Forfar' world famous home of the Bridie, which is basically a pastry filled with minced beef and onion. We had Bridies and Baked Beans for lunch - fantastic. BTW, if you're travelling to Scotland, you'll notice loads of savoury pastry food on sale, often known as pasties or pies. These normally taste amazing, due mainly to the low quality meat and high fat content - but - if you can work off the calories and eat enough fruit along the way, then this is a really cheap way of eating in the UK.

Also - we drove through a small place called Kirriemuir (home of Scottish Gingerbread production) and there was a takeaway curry shop called 'CurryMuir'. Love it. That's like hair dressers who name themselves ' A Cut Above' or 'Curl up and Dye'.

Have you noticed the food theme coming through here? For those of you who dont know us, we're REALLY greedy - hence the blog name 'Eggs on Legs' which is our natural body shape created from a massive love affair with all things 'dinner'. We're hoping to get mild food poisoning in South East Asia to lose a couple of stone.

Anyway, the scenery round central Scotland is stunning - and there's lots of places to visit with historical interest. There are a number of standing stones and museums, and endless amounts of country walks to keep your interest. Bring an umberella though - even in summer.

Last weekend we went to Dunkeld near Perth, and the weather was really warm and hazy - perfect for a leisurly stroll along the river and through the nature trails. I've added some photos of Dunkeld Cathedral and Glamis Castle - see web links for more info on these lovely places:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkeld_Cathedral
http://www.glamis-castle.co.uk/

Anyway - must go and add the photos - it takes ages.

Tara!
Sx



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Pushing up the daisiesPushing up the daisies
Pushing up the daisies

The cathedral ws really atmospheric even on a sunny day
What's Egg #1 reading?What's Egg #1 reading?
What's Egg #1 reading?

Could it be the CurryMuir menu?
Duck family at DunkeldDuck family at Dunkeld
Duck family at Dunkeld

...wonder what they'd taste like with plum sauce and pancakes?
Dunkeld DoorwayDunkeld Doorway
Dunkeld Doorway

The village of Dunkeld has some beautiful little cottages
Local produce!Local produce!
Local produce!

We bought some delicious Gravadlax from this little home run smokery just off the main street in Dunkeld.
Glamis CastleGlamis Castle
Glamis Castle

Front view from the end of the approach driveway
Glamis BurnGlamis Burn
Glamis Burn

Midgies galore, but very pretty!
Tufty!Tufty!
Tufty!

Look close and you'll see a cute red squirrel
Wheatfield at RoundyhillWheatfield at Roundyhill
Wheatfield at Roundyhill

We were trying to work out how many loaves you'd get from this crop
Night view from Roundyhill campsiteNight view from Roundyhill campsite
Night view from Roundyhill campsite

This was the view from the back of our tent. You cant see the main road that ran right behind us.
Shaz & JacknessShaz & Jackness
Shaz & Jackness

Completely irrelevant to anything in this blog - Egg #2 and good pal Jackie on a night out in Glasgow.


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb