BRACKLINN FALLS


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Perthshire » Callander
July 29th 2010
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

On Thursday we decided to walk to Backlinn Falls.

We walked the mile into town and bought an ice-cream- obviously to give us vital energy for the day ahead :o). We then turned off the main road and started our 1.5 mile uphill trek. Once at the top we had a short walk through the woods and soon came across the Falls. The water cascaded over a succession of rocky ledges and into the clear pool below. There was once a bridge over the gorge but unfortunately this and 6 other bridges over the same river were washed away in a storm in 2006. Even though this meant that we could not continue our walk it was interesting to see the new bridge being built, which once completed will be stunning. Further up the falls it was quite busy with children hopping over the rocks, we decided to go in the opposite direction.

After walking through the woods we decided that we would brave the steep banks down to the waters edge. We had made the right choice coming this way. The only noise that could be heard was the water crashing against the rocks and looking around it was difficult to believe we were still in Scotland. The rocks and waterfalls made it feel like we were on a river in China and the sun shining only added to the feeling. We spent the afternoon climbing rocks and banks to more and more remote areas and skimmed stones across the clear pools of water at the bottom. Finally after making ourselves tired and muddy we retraced our steps back into town and to the Waverly Hotel where Andy finally got the pint of ale that he had searched for his whole time in Scotland!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb