The coming of the electric


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Perthshire » Aberfeldy
October 9th 2008
Published: October 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The beginning of the holeThe beginning of the holeThe beginning of the hole

This was really hard, sweaty and frustrating. Fortunately Wendy kept her cool as I cursed the whole stupid idea
Returned early Sunday afternoon to continue search for elusive electricity supply the hole got slowly bigger as we found first the telephone cables then the field drain and water supply then the end of the duct where the electricity will eventually run. Wendy eventually found the cable but we were still unsure as to where it terminated. Eventually gave in for the day feeling a bit hot and bothered, so had a quiet meal in the house then headed up to the farmhouse for an early night.

Monday continued digging out cable. Douglas, the electrician returned and on checking ascertained that the intention was to break into the cable (which runs down to the eventual site for the big shed). All we had to do was leave it exposed so they could get access. Happy we returned to straw and wool stuffing (I don't believe I just typed that happy and straw together!), sealing round windows etc. Ate in the house.
Tues Ewan and Willy put joists in for spare bedroom ceiling/support for cold water tank and it rained covering the electricity cable in a layer of silt and mud.
We'd bought min and max thermometer in Killin (min over24
Ash tree againAsh tree againAsh tree again

Gets almost as many entries as Thumper
hrs was 11 and max 13). Ben Low turned up at the farmhouse. He is doing some guiding work in the Perthshire hills. There then followed a late night listening to tales of madness aka "the joys of fencing in in Knoydart during the winter" over a couple of beers.
Weds completed joists and continued stuffing. went for meal at Lawers
Thurs Completed the stuffing of the roof except for area where solar heating is to be connected up. Electricity men turned up and fortunately the younger of them offered to uncover the area round the cable using Tober's "wee digger"

Electricity turned on at approx 2pm! We then spent a couple of hours tidying up, then down the road for a long weekend and to organise flashing for window sills on west gable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Talk of the DevilTalk of the Devil
Talk of the Devil

Thumper back by popular request
East gable East gable
East gable

Wendy stuffing and trimming top of gable sat on new ceiling joists
Electricity meterElectricity meter
Electricity meter

Can now run Hi-Fi, colour tv etc (well TV would require a satelitte as there's no reception locally)


Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb