Bike Team USA: An Unbiased, Reliable Profile of our hardy band and of its individual members


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Orkney Islands » Stromness
June 4th 2013
Published: June 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Still getting along and smilingStill getting along and smilingStill getting along and smiling

At Stones of Steness, Mainland, Orkney Islands (on May 31, K&K's 33rd wedding anniversary)
Some would say it's a little late in the game; others might think that it's about time. Whatever. This is us. Use the information however you wish but at your own peril.

We four have been friends for quite a while. Four days ago Kit and Kathy celebrated their 33rd wedding anniversary - a wedding that Karen and I attended.

We babysat Yellow Island for them for two weeks back in the early days when they were the caretakers of that special place. Our two properties at Three Meadows are just a short walk away from each other. And two years ago we traveled to China together. So, you can see we have some history of friendship and could expect that we would get along well for our trip to England and Scotland. But, could we do this for two months? Could we still be cordial, could we still speak to each other despite the hardships of hills and bad weather? Despite the pressure of time to finish our journey and yet enjoy the countryside along the way could we still remain united in purpose? Could we still be friends? The answer is YES. Of course, we're not finished
Pathfinder and sweepPathfinder and sweepPathfinder and sweep

Jim corrected many wrong turns that those of us ahead made .
yet. We still have two weeks left but we've finished our main goal of traveling end to end the isle of Great Britain and now are enjoying the islands of Orkney with no pressure of a timetable. And, soon we will sojourn to the Hebrides for a few more relatively leisureable days. YES. Of course we know that we should always be cautioned by the nugget of wisdom issued by Homer Simpson to his son Bart when Bart was complaining that it was the worst day of his life. "So far!" intoned Homer.

The people we've met along the way, both English and Scottish, have been very curious about us. They always want to know where we're from. Of course, they know we're USA - we don't have to explain that. We say we're from the Pacific Northwest between Seattle and Vancouver. At the mention of Vancouver they all immediately understand - that is something they are familiar with. (MARTY - I know I'm ending a lot of sentences with prepositions. Get over it.)

At the mention of the length of our journey and the way we're doing it the reaction is fairly universal, too. I think they look at us old farts in a combination of admiration and indcredulity. How could we be so stupid? But, of course, they are very polite.

Now, a few words about the individual riders - the magnificent, the courageous four.

First: Kit. He is the one who generally is riding out front and is known locally as Pathfinder, being reminiscent of James Fenimore Cooper's sharp-eyed, cunning heroes. In our group Kit is the one who is always Mr. Enthusiasm, exclaiming at the beauty of the surroundings, marveling at how far north we've come and generally appreciating life. He also seems to have more energy than anyone else which, obviously, brings to mind the adage that what is best about a person is also what is worst about them. Kit has also shown himself to be a remarkable chef. Twice in the last week he has concocted a wonderful egg breakfast. The first time was a stuffed omelette and this morning feaured scrambled eggs. The man has talent.

Next: Kathy. Kathy is the one who makes sure that all our ducks are in order. She is the first up in the morning and is always ready to go on time , ahead of time. When we finish a hard day of riding she already has showered, laundered and hung up her underwear before I've managed to get off my helmet. And, when Kathy smiles, you know we're having a good time. And, Kathy is a hard worker. When the going gets tough, as it occasionally does, Kathy is the one who leans in without complaint - definitely a quality sorely needed on a expedition like ours. Another thing you need to know about Kathy is her love of chocolate. She searches out wonderful versions of gourmet chocolate and then, wonder of wonders, generously shares them.

Karen. Karen's contribution to the group is important, also. She's the one who is good at reminding the group when it's time to slow down, time to savor the good life and appreciate a little slower pace. She's the one who really loves to sleep in. And, contrary to what the above seems to imply, loves to engage in intellectual discouse over a wide range of subjects - often sparing verbally in a good natured manner with Kit. And, Karen has noticed pridefully that along with her improved physical condition her biking technique has improved as well. Now she attacks those hills and zooms to their summits. It's a wonder to behold.

And lastly - deservedly so - is the humble author of this humble blog: Jim. I'm not too sure what his role is. He rides at the back of the pack and lets the others figure out which way the path really goes while he is daydreaming - often about thumping his bass with his band mates Miles and Thelonious. Very important stuff. Jim, also - you'll be interested to know - takes his cues from his hero, Lowly Worm, who figures prominently in the picture books of Richard Scarry. Our daughter Claire will remember Lowly Worm. He's the little guy that you have to search for to find on each and every page and who -every once in a while - comes to the rescue of Mr. Paint Pig or some other important character.

So, there, you have it. The Fearsome Foursome. I'll leave to my friend Dick Wright to come up with the perfect nomenclature. In the meantime the four of us have shared a lot of laughs as well as a few hardships and have enjoyed each other very much. So far ...

-- Jim

Advertisement



4th June 2013

Loved the profiles, Jim. It's fun to think what role a person plays in a group setting and how it evolves over time. Sounds like all are doing well and that I will never be able to bike with any of you again. Four buff bikers you are! Have even more fun in your remaining weeks and give our regards to Janet and Steve at St Bees. We are missing you all. I eat my new favorite Scottish oat cracker and dream about the four of you. I have never followed a blog before (except your China one) but anxiously await each entry. That's good writing and high praise from me.
5th June 2013

Jim, you provide a very valuable need to the group: the ability to lighten the mood. Your humor, or I guess it's humour over there, is a necessity on an expedition like the one you're on. Awesome entry! I hope my mom brings some of that chocolate home and shares it with me.
11th June 2013

Nomenclature
Alright, I see that my name has been put on your blog. Nomenclature, ay? Well, Fearsome Foursome doesn't quite fit. You four are about as fearsome as a clutch of kittens. But I have to admit that it took "balls" (sexism is not dead) to tackle on bikes Scottish roads, hills, weather, and the occasional wild driving Scot (with too much Scotch in his system). So, I suggest that Fearless Foursome would be a more appropriate name. But, then, since you all have admitted that you are all "Old Farts," perhaps "Flatulent Foursome" could also fit. How else could you make it up those hills?

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 97; dbt: 0.0994s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb