Kirkwall


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Orkney Islands » Kirkwall
September 28th 2022
Published: September 28th 2022
Edit Blog Post

28th September

Well those high winds the Captain mentioned yesterday didn’t disturb us during the night and this morning we saw the sun rise as we docked in Kirkwall, Orkney.

An initial technical hitch which prevented the gangway from being lowered was a bit worrying but we need not to worry for long as it was soon sorted and we could then set off on another panoramic tour.

We travelled inland to the spiritual hub of the island so-called Neolithic Orkney which comprises of four ancient monuments designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

We passed the ancient Ring of Brodgar - Scotland’s largest stone circle with a diameter of 100 mtrs and much older then Stonehenge.

We stopped to view the Standing Stones of Stenness dating back more than 5,000 years and one of the earliest stone circles in Britain.

As we drove away a seal was spotted in the water, a bit far but the zoom on the camera just about picked it out.

It was interesting learning about the history of area and in particular the vast lake measuring over 300 square kilometres. A strategic natural harbour during both world wars - Scapa Flow is a salt water lake and is all but surrounded by at least eight of the archipelago’s low lying islands.



In late November 1918 the German High Seas Fleet arrived in Scapa Flow. On 21 June 1919, believing the British intended to seize the fleet, Rear Admiral Ludwig von Reuter gave the order to scuttle every ship.
Today the wrecks of three battleships, three light cruisers and a fast mine-layer – ships that all escaped complete removal during salvage operations – remain on the seabed of Scapa Flow.



MS Royal Oak and HMS Vanguard are war graves which must not be disturbed but technical divers and sport divers alike can visit many of the other wrecks scattered throughout Orkney's waters.



Returning to the shop we passed a stone masons yard, it’s not every day you see a pick up truck made from bricks.

A relaxing time for the rest of the day. Looking forward to eating in the Coast to Coast restaurant this evening, one of the specialist restaurants on board, which as you will probably guess is a seafood restaurant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb