Edinburgh in a Day


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
March 29th 2012
Published: June 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 55.9521, -3.19648

It was a little "challenging," but we all made it up and were downstairs in time for our first official Scottish breakfast. Anna was excited, as she'd been counting down to her opportunity to try haggis for the first time. For those few still unaware, haggis is a savory pudding-like dish made of organs and entrails, boiled in a sheep's stomach, and then sliced and fried. It makes Scrapple sound good. Both Anna and I got the haggis, but neither of us made it past the few couple tepid tastes. It was not bad, but neither was it going to successfully compete with the eggs, Canadian bacon, and sausage already on our plates.

The four of hopped the bus downtown and after some initial shopping stops -- including a successful Troll Bead visit -- we got onto a different-route hop-on/hop-off bus. Katherine, Anna, and I rode as far as Edinburgh Castle, whereas Jane continued on her own, completed the circuit, and then visited the National Portrait Gallery. We walked up and took a tour of the castle, which was extremely interesting. Seeing the Scottish crown jewels -- which predate the British set by quite a bit -- was a highlight. We understand the Oliver Cromwell melted down the original British crown jewels while he was regent, and it was not until the final union of Scotland and Britain that another, separate, British set was commissioned, hence the Scottish set is older.

We met back up with Jane for lunch at the tea house at which JK Rowling was working when she wrote the first Harry Potter book. Aside from some press clippings on the wall and a sign on the restaurant window, there were no outward references to Harry Potter. As she was only a waitress here and does not now own it, I'm sure they keep a lid on how outward they can be, particularly as she wouldn't be sharing in any profit they might make off Potter and her name.

After lunch, Jane visited the Edinburgh Writers' Museum while the three of us made the long-anticipated visit to Hollyrood Castle; seat of the royal family to this day, when they visit Edinburgh, and home to Mary Queen of Scots up until her self-imposed first exile. That tour was particularly good. There was also a special exhibition of Queen Elizabeth II's art collection at the castle showroom, to mark her Diamond Jubilee. Some spectacular art work, including a Rembrandt and the most specular Faberge Egg we've ever seen. Anna was particular taken by this exhibit and, had we not had a tour to make, she would have stayed much longer.

After reuniting with Jane again, we returned to the same pub as the night before, for an equally as enjoyable meal. Again, though, the four of us were technically asleep before we made it back to the hotel proper.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Elephant House Tea RoomElephant House Tea Room
Elephant House Tea Room

Where JK Rowling was working when she wrote the first Harry Potter book.
Inside Hollyrood PalaceInside Hollyrood Palace
Inside Hollyrood Palace

Anna was able to snap this right before a guard told us no pictures were allowing inside the castle.


Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb