Sleep Deprivation and the Edinburgh Castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
July 28th 2015
Published: July 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The weather isn't the best but we did not have our expectations high. It has been a misty type of rain so it's been manageable. It's a little chilly. Nothing a warm shower couldn't fix.

We wandered around for some food. Princess Mall was recommended to us. It is in walking distance from our hotel so we started walking.

Walking down Princess Street kind of reminds me of the hustle and bustle of New York but on a smaller scale. Cars whizzing by and people walking briskly to someone with tourists sprinkled in the mix. The city was alive with energy.

My energy level was up and down. I'd be awake and fine for a little bit then I'd be overwhelmed with the need to fall asleep right where I was standing. We needed to press through so we could get used to the time in the UK as soon as possible.

Y'all are going to love this, we decided to eat at Subway at the Princess Mall. Yep, we came 3,500 miles to eat at Subway. They had almost the same thing as in the US but not really. Kelsey and Kirby asked for salt and pepper. The sandwich artist was so confused. She kept reaching for the bell peppers. The manager finally stepped in and told us that the only salt and pepper they have is in packets by the straws and lids. They also do not have oil and vinegar. Not big deal. We are learning. The mayonnaise was different to. I can't put my finger on in but it was just different. Kirby agreed with me. Pretty sure Gigi was sleeping while eating her lunch. She has been a trooper with all the travel and walking.

Kirby got up from lunch to go to the bathroom and he came back and informed us that it costs 20 cents (not really cents but whatever their cents is called). We all laughed. I had read about this in my research but I didn't think we would run into them. For a little over a pound (1 pound = $1.56ish) we were all able to use the restroom and then move onto the next adventure.

We found mom a cab to take her to the entrance of the castle. The castle is on top of a pretty steep hill so I felt better if she rode up there. The cab was only 5pounds but she could only fit 5 in her cab so Kelsey and I walked up the hill to the castle. The cab driver dropped them off on the Royal Mile very close to the castle. The French Festival begins in August so there are already street performers on and around the Royal Mile. There was one guy playing bagpipes and he was dressed in the full kilt outfit. Kirby said he gave his a 20 cents (whatever it's called). When Kirby told me this is said, 'well, now he can go use the toilet.' Timmy liked the player and took a picture with him.

As Kelsey and I were walking we wondered by Princess Gardens. It is beautiful.

Walking the streets are really neat. It seems every street we have walked so far has been this neat cobblestone. The buildings have just such beautiful architecture.

We toured the Ediburgh castle for maybe an hour. We were all so sleepy, cold and wet that we really didn't comprehend anything on the audio guided tour but it was a beautiful sight. There is one room there where they do not allow pictures. Kelsey got yelled at by the guard. He was very assertive and he kind of scared us. We laughed about it afterwards. Way to go Kelsey!

The view from the castle is amazing. Edinburgh is a very beautiful city. It was a little hazy but on a clear day I think the view would be out of this world. Looking at the rooftops and the old architecture in the skyline. It's breathtaking. If my brother and dad were here they would have taken no less than 700 pictures of the view and the castle.

We walked down the hill to the hotel so we could check in. Gigi was able to walk down the hill. The sidewalk is lined with handrails down the hill so that was helpful to her. We had to wait a little bit for our rooms but they have a nice lobby area and a bar. Kelsey and I had a glass of wine while the kids had a soda out of a real glass bottle (they thought they were cool). Mom found a quiet place to sip on her water.

When mom dozed off and Megan fell asleep at the table I figured it was time to get to our rooms.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with our accommodations. We are staying at a chain called Premier Inn. It is very inexpensive so I didn't have too high expectations. I just wanted us to be safe. The hotel is very safe, clean and the staff is more than helpful. They really have made us feel comfortable and at home. I would recommend the hotel t anyone who is traveling here.

We napped for about two hours. I knocked on Kelsey's door to wake them up. A wide eyed Kelsey opened the door. She looked at me for a second and said, 'is it still Monday?'. I smiled and said, 'yes.'

We all got dressed and took a walk down Rose Street. Rose Street reminds me of Stone Street in NYC. Rose Street is about a mile long and has restaurants and bars all along to route. The street was pretty dead (I'm guessing because of the weather) but we still got the experience. You could smell the smells of the different restaurants and hear some of the bands.

Kirby saw this guy that was carrying a double bass to his gig. Kirby walks up to the guy and said, 'Hi five, double bass.' The guy was in shock. He didn't know what Kirby was saying or doing. Kirby explained to the guy that he played the double bass. The guys demeanor changed and he smiled at Kirby. They talked a little bit about the bass and he let Kirby take a picture with him.

We found a restaurant and ate dinner. It was American food but when you are in a zombie trance you go with what you know. We all enjoyed our dinner and we were ready for bed afterwards.

Words we've learned so far:
Litter - Trash
Bin - trash can
Toilet - Restroom
Rocket - Type of lettuce
Term 'No Worries' - typical response to Thank you

Off to St. Andrews to walk the Old Course and tour another castle.

Hope you guys are enjoying the pics and commentary. Today I am going to bring my big lens so I can get some better scenery pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



28th July 2015

Gorgeous photos and loving your blog!!
Hello from hot and humid Tallahassee!! We are enjoying your commentary and photos very much-- solidly jet-lagged yet still able to write and post--Bravo!!! About the weather, on our trip to London we said that we would be disappointed if it wasn't cool and rainy---and we weren't!!! One nice thing about the rain is it makes the cobblestones look great in pictures, and the cool air on the face helps you stay awake. Happy travels, Nancy and Rick

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb