Craigmillar Castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
September 14th 2014
Published: September 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I checked this place out yesterday. It's a nice walk from my accommodation to the castle, which is about 3 miles outside of Edinburgh.



Craigmillar Castle is a late-medieval stone castle built around the 1400s. Mary, Queen of Scots 'vacationed' at the castle at least two times that historians know of. The location was highly desirable because of its convenient distance from Edinburgh and because the area was rich with game. Mary and many other affluent people enjoyed the castle as a way to escape the constant scrutiny of the people in the city and to partake in hunting activity. Unfortunately, as time progressed, the castle was regarded as old and outdated; thus, it was abandoned for some time and fell into disrepair.



There's virtually no props throughout the castle so all of the rooms are bare. Centuries ago the walls, ceilings and floors would have been embellished with luxury Turkish rugs and other decorations of high-society. Visitors are free to access the whole castle.



I think the best part of this visit here was the view of Edinburgh and Arthur's Seat and the Crags from the rooftop. Especially being a nice sunny day, Edinburgh's skyline was extremely visible.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 22


Advertisement




Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0925s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb