Day 4 and 5


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
July 19th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello,
Yesterday we went to Greta Green (in Scotland) for the mock wedding ceremony. Greta Green is a place where in the 1700s people under 21 from England would come to get married as England had a law saying if you were 21 or younger your parents must give you permission to get married. Scotland didn't have the law so Greta Green being just on the other side of the England-Scotland border started doing these marriages. The mock ceremony was neat. The "minister" had an Aussie from our tour be the father of the bride (who had shown up angry with his wife to protest his daughter's wedding) and gave him a gun. He pulled another tour member (the actual girlfriend of the guy he pulled to be the father) to be the bride's mother. He then performed the "ceremony". After we went back into England for Hadrian's Wall-another neat experience. We then headed to the England-Scotland border to take some photos straddling the border. We then heading on for lunch and onto Edinburgh. After a few hours of resting we went for a city tour before heading out to an optional Scottish dinner and music night. We had a traditional Scottish meal with a choice of one of four starters, one of four main dishes, and one of four desserts. I wasn't brave enough to get the chicken stuffed with haggis but, I tried a bit from a girl's dish and it wasn't too bad. After dinner a bag piper played some wonderful music for us. Today was a free day in Edinburgh so I went around with an Aussie and four Canadian girls (friends before the tour started). We went to the Palace of Holyroods, the bottom of Andy's Seat (a huge hill), and walked along Royal Mile. Tomorrow we are off to see Loch Ness lake and search for the monster.
Zoe

Advertisement



20th July 2011

The does sound like fun! I have totally seen Hadrian's Wall, not that I remember much of it :P However, I am going to have to disagree with you on the haggis thing, I firmly maintain that it is "too bad". Keep having a good time!

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb