Mini trip to Bonny Scotland - first stop, 'Auld Reekie'


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
July 5th 2011
Published: July 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

'Auld Reekie' - the local name for the city of Edinburgh. Probably the most stunning city I have ever set eyes on.

Shawn and I, being the nomads we are, decided to trek it up to Bonny Scotland on a short break from London. First stop, Edinburgh. We flew with dodge EasyJet but survived all the same. We got on a double decker leather seated bus for 3 pounds and this took us into the heart of Edinburgh. From my side of the bus, the eye followed the streets of the New Town. It was only when Shawn said "look out to your right" that I did and was literally gobsmacked! There was the Old Town, up on an escarpment glistening in the sun (a miracle so the locals say, they NEVER see the sun!). There was Edinburgh Castle, the dead ringer (excuse the Scottish pun.... i.e. the dead were buried with a bell because the Scots so often buried people alive!) for Hogwarts... as you can imagine, it was like stepping into a fairytale!

We had to walk up to the Old City from the bus depot and we wound our way through tiny closes and wynds that were cobbled, desolate and quite creepy. They were dotted with underground pubs occupied by men in kilts with rifles and swords! What a sight to see!

We stayed in a Hostel up in the Old Town and decided to fit in as much as we could:

Pub meal on first night with Scottish cider
Ghost Tour into the world's most haunted dungeons (will post creepy photo soon)
Loch Lomond
Tour of the Highlands
Wallace Monument
Sterling Castle (the Queen was there and we saw her motocade!)
Trossachs National Park
Doune Castle (where Monty Python and the Holy Grail was filmed)
Haggis!
State of Origin 3 in a pub
Peeked at the setup for Military Tattoo
Edinburgh Castle
The Old Mile
Several creepy graveyards
Museum of Scottish Peoples

We've spent three days here, now heading to Glasgow for a day then back to London!!

xxx Lex

Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0152s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb