Landing in Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
October 11th 2010
Published: October 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Scotland 2010


Mary's bathMary's bathMary's bath

Called Mary's bath, origanally attached to a boundary wall. 1542. no evidence it actualy contained a bath. On the outskirts of the Palace.
Well we made it! Flight was fairly smooth, only a couple of bumpy spots and even they weren't too bad. However... neither of us slept very well. I watched 2 movies and 1/2 of the big bang theory.
We have found another HUGE airport (also under construction) and of course we had to walk the entire length to connect to our flight to Edinburgh. A quick ride up and then down again and Bob's your uncle we were back in Alba.
A short walk to find the car park (yeah right) (made even longer by hauling all of the luggage).
OK here we go - wrong side of the road, wrong side of the car... hey it's not so bad...
With some excellent navigation (by memory) we got to our hotel. Short rest, deep breath and out we go!
Found the Hop on Hop off bus tour and proceeded to Holyrood Palace, the Queen's residence when in Scotland and the home of the king's & queens of Scotland including Mary Queen of Scots.
Originally the site of an abbey built by King David I in 1148, the Palace was built adjoining the Abbey and then added to over the centuries.
Finshed
Holyrood Palace FountainHolyrood Palace FountainHolyrood Palace Fountain

Fountain in forecourt
the lap around Edinburgh and back to the hotel, changed for dinner and out again. We found a pub called Whiski and had a haggis tower & sausage & mash for Elke. 2 pints of Tennants lager finished with Macallans 15 yr old for Elke and a Glen Scotia 1991 16 yr old. yum! (those details are for scotch lovers)
Allright thats enough, 31 hours without any real sleep is enough. Back to the hotel room and crash!
Tomorrow we return to Invergarry and the Glengarry castle.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Holyrood left towerHolyrood left tower
Holyrood left tower

Older of 2 towers. Residence of mary Queen of Scots and location of murder of her son. (56 stab wounds)
Unicorn COAUnicorn COA
Unicorn COA

Unicorn - mythilogical emblem of Scotland - notice cross of St Andrews
Holyrood Abbey Holyrood Abbey
Holyrood Abbey

Tallest of walls remaining in nave
Old & olderOld & older
Old & older

Shows connection of palace and abbey
HAGGIS TOWERHAGGIS TOWER
HAGGIS TOWER

get a load of this Nigel!!!
Royal MileRoyal Mile
Royal Mile

The famous Royal Mile. Actually a brdige since it is built over existing structures over the centuries


12th October 2010

Mmmmmm Haggis
Look at that delicious tower of yummy haggis. Wish I was there with you! Is there a private school at Holyrood Castle? Is that where they hold the Tattoo?
12th October 2010

Hey guys got your blog - AWESOME!!!!!! keep sending them I love this!!!! great pics by the way it looks so beautiful over there - I can't believe you ate Haggis (especially Elke, ewwwwwwwwww)
13th October 2010

Again!! Other than the great landscape, rolling hills, castles, history, the UK air and great scotch... is haggis the only reason you go?

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb