Escape from Auchlochan!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Lesmahagow
April 9th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

London to Auchlochan


It was Easter and stupidly I (Gerry) decided to drive up to Scotland. I left work in London at 2.45pm and didn't get to my mum and dad's until 1.45am, an 11 hour drive on my own (Denise couldn't make it)! The worst bit was about half a mile from my destination, when I hit some road works (not literally) and was stuck in a non-moving traffic jam for an hour and a half! Not what you need after a long journey. I survived by consuming vast quantities of Red Bull energy drink and umpteen bars of Twirl chocolate!

This is my first visit to my mum and dad's new home. After about 38 years in the one house in East Kilbride the time had finally come to move to a smaller, more appropriate place. Auchlochan is now like a small village, providing housing and care to mainly elderly christian people (Christian Brethren mostly). It is one step from heaven, a veritable form of purgatory, and when the sun shines over the little lochs it could be heaven itself!

The countryside around here is beautiful, a playground for the gods (my religious metaphors are becoming very confused!). The next day we took a drive in the car alongside a river and out towards Leadhills and Wanlockhead, the highest village in Scotland. Lead used to be mined in these parts, but no more. On the Saturday, Ruth, my sister, joined us and we went down to the border region to a town called Moffat. Interesting place to visit, containing the thinnest hotel in the world and John McAdam's grave. John McAdam invented Tarmac for roads, "the greatest advance in road construction since Roman times". He was born in 1756 and died in 1836. Moffat also contains the Cafe Ariete, a great Italian-influenced eatery where we had lunch then returned a couple of hours later for dessert!

Saturday night I stayed over at Ruth's house and had a good natter. Sunday saw us back at Auchlochan where we had a wander around the fine walled garden. As we walked back to the house we were stopped by a lady asking where the exit was. On discovering that she had quite a distance to travel on a Sunday by bus on a cold late afternoon my dad offered to give her a run in the car to the next town. However, her manner was strange and she immediately roused our suspicions. Nearby there is a secure (locked) home for the 'confused' (I'm a social worker and I'm sure that's not the right word!) and we reckoned she might have done a runner, so I sat in the car with her while dad ran into the house to telephone someone. I became increasingly uncomfortable as time dragged on so I made an excuse and dived into the house to find out what was going on. Dad was frantically phoning here, there, and everywhere in an attempt to find out if anyone was missing but wasn't getting much luck with the Phillipino-speaking nurses who were gallantly trying to serve up dinner to their clients and probably wondering what this demented Scottish bloke was ranting on about! Eventually the message got through and sure enough one little old lady was missing and shortly thereafter two nurses came round to the car to escort her back to safety! Dad now has a new job as Chief Scout.

The journey back down to London was a lot better thankfully.






Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Dad in MoffatDad in Moffat
Dad in Moffat

Eyeing up some bedding plants even though he doesn't have a garden anymore!
Inventor of TarmacadamInventor of Tarmacadam
Inventor of Tarmacadam

You would have thought they could have done a better job of the ground around the grave! In Moffat.
WanlockheadWanlockhead
Wanlockhead

The highest village in Scotland
AuchlochanAuchlochan
Auchlochan

Mum and dad's flat is on the right, one floor up.


1st June 2007

heaven or earth?
What a beautiful place! Shame though, not a word about scotch whisky? As they say you can't survive in Scotland without whisky?
31st October 2007

I have seen your pics esp those in african. wish you the best in your endeavours.
say hullo to tom Aitken.
17th October 2008

I just stumbled on your blog following a search for 'Auchlochan' on google. I am a pilot and fly into Glasgow on a daily basis, on numerous occasions i have looked down at this oasis in the hills but couldn't quite place it. the last time i flew over i had the sense to check the co-ordinates from the gps and with a little help from google earth found the place instantly. I'm not exactly sure what i was expecting or hoping for but having read a little about the place and your peice i hope it is sometime before i visit on foot. hope your parents are happy, it really does look like a beautiful spot. Richard
12th October 2009

MHA - Auchlochan Retirement Village
Please note - Auchlochan Retirement Village is a MHA = Methodis Homes for the Aged, not run by or residence for 'Christian Bretheren' Yes, I do agree, it is Heaven's vestibule.
2nd March 2010

paradise on earth
I too have visited Auchlochan from Manchester on many occasions over the years visiting family who lived there, I have stayed on the barge on several occasions and had great fun with the swans knocking on the window for food. unfortunately the barge is not rented out any more. I have bought flowers and plants from the gardens which were beautiful and still exist years later in my garden. I have also stayed at Nessenvale within the grounds and been treated as one of the family, or should I say (royalty)the staff @ service is excellent! I have stayed in most of the surrounding B & BS and also Kerse farm at the roundabout in Lesmahagow and have been made very welcome and enjoyed every one of them. The golf club has been a good place to visit for an evening meal where the staff are brilliant, if what you want is not on the menu the staff will try to accommodate your choice. However as I have watched Auchlochan grow and expand over the years I feel that it has a special place in my heart, it is stunning, I will be going back to see relations before end of March when the snow clears, cant wait.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb