Haggis, neeps and tatties


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
February 1st 2006
Published: February 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Haggis dinnerHaggis dinnerHaggis dinner

Here is me with my friends from the USA and New Zealand
Hello everyone back in Canada!
I have made it through my first 2 weeks here and have already learned alot about this country.....
* asking for a "Toilet" is not considered a rude way to ask for a bathroom- i am still getting used to this one
* ignore the crosswalks even if there are police right next to you- or else you will stand there for 5 minutes waiting for the green man to show up
* show up 5 minutes late for classes and you will still beat the professor there
* scottish traditional dancing is more tiring then it looks- the constant twirling and placing (jumping on one foot back and forth) really makes you wish you hadnt just ate a huge plate of haggis!
* haggis is not as gross as it sounds- it just looks like ground beef (as you can see in the picture) but it sure makes you sick the mext morning.....
* if you have the sort of 'accent' that we as canadians have you are automatically considered American (and mostly from California for some reason)
* keep a spare pair of sandals by your bedroom door becuase the fire alarm in your
Haggis dinnerHaggis dinnerHaggis dinner

The brown stuff is the haggis and the other is the neeps and tatties- looks pretty appetizing hey??
residence will go aff atleast 5 times a week- and sometimes as early as 3:30am!!
*you mine as well take up smoking if you live here becuase you are constantly surrounded by second hand smoke anyways (not that I am actually going to do this...)
* if you love to shop move to/visit Glasgow- there is a reason that it has been named the second best city to shop in besides London (in the UK)
* If you like deepfried anything you will find it here- but be warned that you can easily gain 10 extra pounds by eating out all the time
* Scottish people are always willing to help you out if your lost. Understanding the Glaswegions is the only problem...
* The moment that you see a ray of sunlight open all your windows and enjoy it becuase it could be the last time you see if for days or even weeks.
* If your looking to find cheap stuff attend the market (AKA blackmarket becuase alot of it is illegal) that is held every weekend. It was amazing to watch the police chase teenagers who are trying to sell burned DVD's on the street while at
The PipersThe PipersThe Pipers

They put on quiet a show for us
the same time attending an auction of bath towels (yes its as weird as it sounds!)

Well thats the extent of what i have learned here thus far but i am sure it will continue to increase as time passes!
I am planning to go to a rugby match this weekend so that will be an interesting experience, the fans are supposed to be pretty crazy so i am deifnitly glad i am going with a big group from school.

Time for me to take a little nap before my next class so we will talk to you all soon- hope all is well with everyone!

Andrea 😊

PS- My adress on campus is: Block A Flat 14 Chancellors Hall 65 Rottenrow East Glasgow, G4 0NG and my room's phone number is 001-44-870-276-5618 just incase anyone wants to know!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

PipersPipers
Pipers

This guy did a solo
The BandThe Band
The Band

The 3 old scottish men who played their instruments and taught everyone how to dance until the wee hours of the mornin
Intertational NightIntertational Night
Intertational Night

The roof of the pub we were drinking at!
Intertational NightIntertational Night
Intertational Night

All the alchol that you can choose from at the bar


2nd February 2006

These pictures are great, maybe they make more fuss about haggis than necessary. The pub looks like quite a nice place. So did you try Scottish dancing, can't wait for a demo.
3rd February 2006

YUM!!!
Hehe as i recall haggis tasted much better then expected also! Ok well the blog looks great- keep up the good work. Love ya, miss ya and keep tast testing the whiskey and scotch for me!
7th February 2006

Pub!!
Hi Andrea: Glad you are enjoying Scotland. I have to say I drank at the pub with the "beautiful architecture on the ceiling". Looks like you are getting right into the culture! Have a great time, and see you sometime again for lunch in calgary......

Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb