Glasgow a Day Out


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow » Robroystone
July 28th 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Here we are enjoying Glasgow and the weather is very fine. Ruby and I had a day out at the Falkirk wheel with two friends George, Preya and baby Lesa.
This is a wheel that lifts two boats canal boats up the 35m difference between two canals the Forth & Clyde and Union by lifting two boats quickly and simply as possible. The Millennium Link as it is called was an ambitious £84.5m project with the objective of restoring navigability across Scotland on the historic Forth & Clyde Canal and the Union Canals, providing a corridor of regenerative activity through central Scotland.
One major challenge in this objective was the fact that the Forth and Clyde Canal lay 35m (115ft) below the level of the Union Canal. Historically, the two canals had been joined at Falkirk by a flight of 11 locks that stepped down across a distance of 1.5km, but these has been dismantled in 1933, breaking the link.
British Waterways who own the wheel were keen to present a visionary solution taking full advantage of the opportunity to create a truly spectacular and fitting structure that would suitably commemorate the Millennium and act as a symbol for years to come. It is the only wheel lift of its type in the world.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

I Like Ice CreamI Like Ice Cream
I Like Ice Cream

Ruby at the Falkirk Wheel
I Like Icecream V muchI Like Icecream V much
I Like Icecream V much

Ruby eating Ice cream


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb