Day Seven (Carlisle to the Scottish Highlands)


Advertisement
Published: January 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A nice hot shower before bed helped me cool off a bit so I slept well through the night. We enjoyed a rather sumptuous buffet breakfast at the hotel. We had scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, broiled tomatos, cereals, oatmeal, orange and tomato juices and the ever-popular baked beans. In Italy and France I found most of the breakfasts pretty lacking while I've never gone wrong in Germany and Austr... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

It doesn't look that highIt doesn't look that high
It doesn't look that high

While I was luxuriating in the river, Gail along with James and a few others crossed to this side of the stream and followed one of the hiking trails that would ultimately lead to the top.
Flying ScotsFlying Scots
Flying Scots

Gail's hike took the group to this bridge spanning a pool of deeper water. As they crossed the bridge they befriended a group of Scottish schoolboys who were taking flying leaps from the bridge. They spent awhile watching the daredevils and were thus unable to make it to the top of the Mountain. (I'm being sarcastic - the hike normally takes hours to reach the summit).
Facts from the Ben Nevis Visitor CenterFacts from the Ben Nevis Visitor Center
Facts from the Ben Nevis Visitor Center

And while the intrepid failed in their attempt to scale the summit, I eventually emerged from the swollen stream to take a walk to the nearby visitor center. It was a very informative little building with display cases and signs explaining the history and geology of the area. I found these facts about the summit particularly interesting.
My room at the HighlanderMy room at the Highlander
My room at the Highlander

It took another hour to drive from Ben Nevis to our home for the next two nights, Newtonmore. After driving through the photogenic little town we pulled-up in front of what looked like an American-style motel. We were in a nice shady part of town where the temperatures were in the much more bearable 70 degree range. We quickly checked into our hotel rooms where I was quite pleased to have a rather roomy two bed room.
Bring out the HaggisBring out the Haggis
Bring out the Haggis

When we walked into the dining room for dinner I was surprised to learn that we had arrived in time for a Highlander Dinner Show. After ordering my Tennant beer the show began with this gentleman ceremoniously carrying in the disgusting-looking stuffed sheep's stomach known as "Haggis". To the accompaniment of a bagpiper he proceeded to divvy up the Highland version of sausage while reciting some undecipherable verse.
Haggis with neeps and tattiesHaggis with neeps and tatties
Haggis with neeps and tatties

Everybody got a plate of this. I really didn't relish the idea of eating sheep's stomach stuffed with oatmeal, lungs, heart and liver. I took a bite to be polite and then found I actually enjoyed it. I finished off my whole plate including the mashed potatoes and turnips that accompanied it. Luckily, this was not the main course.
The evening's entertainmentThe evening's entertainment
The evening's entertainment

No sooner did we gulp down the Haggis than we were jarred from our seats by the sounds of twelve bagpipes and a couple drummers mjarching into the dining room. I have to admit that the bagpipe music is pretty stirring and must have been downright intimidating out on the battlefield. This group of pipers is a local group that tours around the country and world from time to time. After performing two tunes they passed the tam-o-shanter requesting funding for their next gig.
An evening stroll through NewtonmoreAn evening stroll through Newtonmore
An evening stroll through Newtonmore

We enjoyed a nice dinner followed by a sumptuous dessert tray. Gail and her mother opted to hang around for the rest of the show but fearing the very real possibility of audience participation, I beat a hasty retreat. I decided to take a walk through the little downtown of Newtonmore. I ran into another member of our group, Jean Moyer, who I knew from our church back home. It wasn't much of a downtown commercially speaking but the homes along the street looked old and uniquely English. As usual I had to get a photo of the post office.
The outer limitsThe outer limits
The outer limits

Jean and I extended our walk to the far reaches of the town. I really wanted to get a good picture of one of the Highlnd cattle but everytime I drew near one of them, they took off before I could get a decent shot. The home in the background also looked very interesting. During out stay in Newtonmore people continually talked about "Monarch of the Glen". Apparently it is some sort of British soap opera that has been showing on PBS or other channel I refuse to watch. Somebody in our group claimed that this house was seen in one of the episodes.
An awful picture of a beautiful row of homesAn awful picture of a beautiful row of homes
An awful picture of a beautiful row of homes

As Jean and I headed back to the hotel it was starting to get dark at 10:00pm. I could kick myself now for having blown this shot. I should have steadied myself against a wall and then taken the picture, but the picture looked fine on my tiny LCD screen.



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb