O'er the sea at Skye.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Isle of Skye
September 15th 2017
Published: September 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

O'er the sea at Skye! It's taken a while but we managed to get a sailing day. Can it be called sailing when it's a ferry? Pretty good day here on Skye, which equates to pretty ugly day anywhere else but the boats at least set out from Elgol (how Viking is that) and headed around Skyle behind the Cuillins (a scraggy range of hills/mountains/munros) that are lovely and scenic and imposing and challenging and scary to a docking quite close to Loch Coruisk. The Loch is really only accessible via the ferry (or an arduous climb/hike over the Cuillins) and is a bit of a walkers paradise. We didn't have time (or energy!) to go around the Loch and were content with a picnic by the shore, which despite the omnipresent threat of rain, we thoroughly enjoyed. Our Airbnb provided snack lunch for us right down to gluten free bread and fruit which is a friendly and much appreciated gesture. It's another excellent B'nB but it should be as it is a little expensive. My fault as I didn't realize we were returing to Skye and late bookings mean restricted range and price. The island is majestic and quite awe inspiring but there are lots of tourists here even though the bulk of the season is over. The ferry took about thirty minutes to get to the Loch dock and gets close to several seal colonies. The seals aren't sleek, black and shiny likes ours but quite brown, fawn and even whitish. They do have that content look though as if sunbathing (did I say sunbathing!) is just the best thing in the world. The walk from the dock to the Lock was quite a shock and no Lee was not in a frock..sorry got carried away. No the walk was easy and only 15 minutes or so and gave great views of the Loch and surrounding Cuillins.

I plan a three and half hour walk tomorrow, if that fits in with the car ferry timetable. It should not to too tough as the distance, terrain and even the weather should be OK. The path leads to the most southerly point on Skye and not surprisingly there's a lighthouse there. Only problem is the walk is not circular which means walking back the same way (no not walking backwards!). Anyway we'll see what happens. Could, probably will, be my last 'wild' walk.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb