Uig Skye to Lochmaddy, North Uist then to Lochboisdale, South Uist


Advertisement
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Uig, Skye to Lochboisdale, South Uist via Lochmaddy, North Uist


Uig, SkyeUig, SkyeUig, Skye

somewhat greener than the barren Outer Hebrides
The weather was a little calmer this morning and the puddle had mysteriously disappeared.

We packed up after breakfast and headed back down to Uig. We left the bikes outside the ferry terminal and walked for about 20-30 minutes to the Post Office for the cash machine and back (the woman in the shop told us it would be a 10 minute walk and we're fast walkers! )

We caught the ferry back to Lochmaddy, back on North Uist and planned to catch the bus back down to Lochboisdale on South Uist where we would catch the ferry back to Oban and be reunited with our car in readiness for the long drive back to Tunbridge Wells.

However, we discovered that the bus we wanted did not run on school days. We spoke to another bus driver who informed us that the next bus was a minibus (potential problem with bikes) and would only take us 20 miles to the south of North Uist. He very helpfully contacted the driver of the next bus so that he could bring some straps so that we could take our bikes on the bus.

We left our bikes leaning against
Uig, SkyeUig, SkyeUig, Skye

from the Lochmaddy ferry
the wall as the ferry sailed back to Uig and waited for the next bus

We managed to get on the next bus and the helpfulness of Outer Hebrides folk became very apparent. The driver spoke to another driver at the spot where he would drop us off and they managed to make arrangements as a one off to take us all the way down to Lochboisdale! My knee was saved from a 50 mile-ish bike trip!

We reached Lochboisdale. We decided to stay at Bayview B&B this night as we were on the rockier and more populated eastern side of South Uist and we would not be able to find a camping spot. The bed felt really squidgy and comfortable. The only thing I did not like was the very scary doll in the room whose eyes seemed to follow me around the room!

We went for a meal at the local hotel before retiring to bed. Unfortunately Andy suddenly became very ill and spent the entire night throwing up



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Andy and meAndy and me
Andy and me

on the Lochmaddy ferry
Andy, Lochmaddy, North UistAndy, Lochmaddy, North Uist
Andy, Lochmaddy, North Uist

waiting for the bus
LochmaddyLochmaddy
Lochmaddy

the ferry heads back to Uig, Skye, our bikes in the foreground
the scary dollthe scary doll
the scary doll

in the bedroom at the Lochboisdale B&B


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb