The last house of Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Inverness
July 26th 2011
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Arrived sunday july 24th in Inverness with the coach from Fort William. Weather was speldid and I made a long walk along the river Ness.Guesthouse Ardconnel is a small 6 rooms guest house. Beautiful interior but rather small room and they need to invest some in matrasses. Kind people.
On monday I went on a long daytour, 14 hours, to Orkney Islands. First 2,5 hours by coach, than you reach John O Groats where the ferry to Orkney just arrived.
John O Groats started his live as dutch Jan de Groot..
On that spot you can see also the last house of Scotland and the distance to London will be about 1000 km from there.

The day was cold,real cold, with some rain in the morning. The ferry to Orkney only takes about 45 minutes and it s about there that Atlantic meets the Northsea.

On Orkney 20.000 people and a lot of cattle are living. The islands are almost completely without trees. and there s a lot of wind.Kirkwall is the mainplace with a cathedral and you can sight see it within an hour.
In the afternoon the trip went to the Unesco world heritage site the ring of Bradagor with standing stones and Skara Brae a 5000 years old village from the stone age.
Back in Inverness 21.00 hours. Ate Ital;ian at a river restaurant


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb