Inverness and the Surrounding Areas


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thursday brought a beautiful day with temps in the 50's and low 60's. Our first stop of the day was at THE DALMORE, our first Distillery Visit of the trip. WOW, what a treat!!! Nothing like the smell of the mashtun and the fermenting tanks. After a great tour of the distillery, we were able to taste a dram of the 15 yr old. Amazing!!

From there we headed north to Tain to see the Glen Morangie Distillery. This one was the only distillery that allowed us to take pictures. It was the only one we visited in which the whisky is not sent out for blending. They are the number 4 distillery in Scotland.

After a good time there, we headed down through the country to Lock Ness and Urquhart Castle. From here we got to see amazing views of the Loch, none of Nessie I am afraid. Just amazing to see a castle from the late 1200's with still a good portion intact. We have some great shots of this castle as well as Loch Ness itself. The waters definitely look black when pearing down from the castle.

Upon leaving the castle we headed off to Culloden Battlefield. So much history lies on that battled field. Sean got some great shots of area where the Scots are buried including his own ancestrial clan, Clan Donald and the MacDonalds.

After wrapping up there, we headed into Inverness to our next stop of the night, the Bannerman B&B. What a great place with Alison being a great host. For dinner, we stopped at a Scottish pub, Hootananny's. A little different though as it had great scottish beer and whisky but the food served was Thai food. It was amazing. During dinner we got to listen to some great Scottish and Irish folk music from a local trio that played there.

What a fantastic day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb