Inverness


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Inverness
August 3rd 2008
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 57.4767, -4.23145

We are sitting in a nice pub in Inverness, having a pint and using their wifi.
Lets see, where the heck are we! Oh yes, we are in Inverness.
We left the Isle of Skye on Saturday morning and drove to Inverness. It took us a while to find our house because we loaned TomTom to Mike and Anne for their Edinburgh trip. That was a mistake. After driving around, we realized that we came in from a different direction than we thought. We didn't do anything that afternon, but wait for Mike and Anne to arrive.
On Sunday, Stacy and I went into the city centre and toured around while Mike and Anne did laundry.
On Monday, we drove down to Urquhart Castle and toured it. We then went back to town and caught a boat for an hour tour of Loch Ness. We saw Nessie(see pic!). We then went out to a nice Italian resturant for dinner. After that we went to the Inverness tattoo. That was a full day. On Tuesday morning we boarded a bus for John O' Groats and caught a ferry to the Orkney Islands. It was a 2 1/2 hour bus ride and a 45 minute ferry ride. We then boarded another bus to tour the island. The highlight of the tour was Scara Brae, a viking village uncovered during a storm in the late 1800's. It is 5000 years old. It is really neat. The bottom half of the houses are intact, and they have beds, cupboards, shelves and furniture all made of stone. Kind of reminds me of the Flintstones, without the cars! We also went to a stone circle that was 3000 years old, kind of a smaller Stonehenge. The trip back was a little more interesting, in that there were 5 foot swells and the boat was rocking quite a bit. Needless to say, I spent the trip out on the deck trying not to get sick.
On Wednesday we split up and Stacy and I went to Fort George. It was built in the 1750's and is huge. It covered 42 football fields. We met Mike and Anne later and made spaghetti dinner.
On Thursday we went to the Culloden battlefield, Clava cairns and Cawdor Castle. The battlefield is where Bonnie Prince Charles and the Jacobite army were defeated by the British army. The Cawdor Castle and gardens were really nice.
On Friday morning, Mike and Anne left for Glasgow and again we were left to ourselves. We had a great time with them. It was very nice to have someone that we know to share Scotland with. We did some laundry, went shopping for food and took naps.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



4th August 2008

What kind of beer is that? If you got a Bud Light off the "Imports" list you and I are going to have to have words...
4th August 2008

Awww...hope you got one of those for Kayla, if you didn't and she see's this picture she's going to be mad.
5th August 2008

Bet you have put on 20lbs with all the brew you have been putting away
5th August 2008

Do you guys know what your doing ??????
5th August 2008

one taste of Bob the Bad and Nessie will spit you out
5th August 2008

you sue spend alot of time in the pubs<br>
5th August 2008

Mikie the Mean with Queen Stacy, he needs to finish stacking the rocks<br>
5th August 2008

Bob the Bad with his Queen Stacy, in front of their summer home.<br><br>Where is the court jester Mikie the mean ???<br><br>Great pictures, love them all.<br><br>

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb