Men in Kilts ... Fort William, Scotland,


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Fort William
October 8th 2017
Published: October 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Train Station in CarlisleTrain Station in CarlisleTrain Station in Carlisle

Beautiful on the outside...massive constuction going on inside.
Fort William ...three sleeps... have seen at least five men in kilts...but they were all walking tooo fast to catch them digitally!



Two reservations on the National Rail and two seats taken by others. The first taker was a young arrogant looking sort sitting with an equally belligerent looking young thing as girlfriend... left them to it but sent evil looks in his direction every time I looked at him and he looked at me … just in case he thought he had gotten one over on an old lady.



The second train ride I was faced with two men in my space... but after a promise of a cup of tea I sat in the four seat combination and spent the rest of the train ride to Fort William talking to two Norsemen. One worked in IT for the police and the other was involved in infrastructure consulting. Both seemed train aficionados. It was suggested I see Trainspotting2. Better see the first one first



From their description of other train journeys they had taken I became convinced their jobs were top drawer. The infastructure guy(could not think of that word yesterday
Stairway in CarlisleStairway in CarlisleStairway in Carlisle

...such old splendour. The construction was to replace the glass roof.
so have to use it a few times) did most of the talking...more than me ...if that is possible. Must have talked a lot too because I made a big mistake in turning the heal of my sock... did not notice the erro until I had knit halfway down the foot! And they were not even extremely hansome or delicious.



At Fort William Train Station hailed a taxi to go up the steep, curvy street.The proprietress at Lochview strongly suggested this. Glad I listened.



Fm up here there is a panoramic view of the loch and the opposite moss covered hill.



The Lochview Guesthouse is sublime. Everything is perfect including the little yellow ducky in the shower and the smily faces on my soft boiled eggs. The husband and wife team have been here for three years. Between the two of them they have done a fantastic job. There are no vacancies in the near future.



After settling all the packs in my room, the laundry situation was investigated. A house further along offers facilities...it is also a hostel and has self catering suites.





Returning to my purrfect room it was time to chill. There is a small black cat in residence.Not in my room although he did pay a visit ;-)



With the rubber ducky a spa like experience was had in the perfectly temperatured shower. Then on with the terry cloth robe and a veg-out in front of the television. The towels are white the robe is white the bed is white . Did have to climb UP into the bed... but cannot complain. Enjoyed the room to the utmost at its $120/nt.pricetag.





Next day after doing the laundry and checking about taking the Jacobite Steam train to Mallaig on Saturday (none on weekends in October) I walked down into the HighStreet on my way to the train station for ticket purchases.



Of course the attraction of the local shops was too hard to resist. Found some small appropriate things and immediatly sent them on their way. The post office is in the WHSmith Bookshop. It is becoming more and more difficult to avoid book buying. In Mallaig a secondhand shop had a wonderfully varied selection at very good prices...like one pound for a book. There is absolutely no space in either one of my packs.



Bounced around the little town...burgh of Ft. William. Found the library, saw the public squares with sculptures of the famous, had lunch in the superstore called Morrisons...not at Aldi or Lidle … and went by local bus to a neighbouring village in search of wool.





Caol(cool) was a winding half hour away. Went in search of a store that was reputed to have EVERYTHING.... and IT DID. From buttons to underpants, to hairpins,to galoushes, to drapery to wool&needles to toys for boys ! Did not find any sex toys but then again did not ask for any.



I bought enough wool for a hat and scarf plus two sets of needles. Could not pass on the buttons. Somehow I managed to leave 21 pounds in that everything store and did not even buy the undershirt she offered when I asked if she had a 'vest' ….it was polyester!





I rushed back to the bus stop because it passed only every half hour.



Caught the bus... went to buy some food.... chicken and a salad some fruit some buns. As usual eyes bigger than stomach. Must enforce the one-only rule!

Trekked up the hill to the Guesthouse. Only did that once!





Next day the train to Malliag would leave at 12.00



Therefore had time to visit the West Highland Museum. It is small but has a few absolutely precious pieces... like the dolls in traditional Scottish dress. And then there is the video about the geology of the Highlands. It begins with the fact that the earth and the moon are of the same origin... have to check that one . OK read the following article.



http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20150617-where-did-the-moon-come-from.. Still lots of question marks.



And all this stirred up by little museum in Fort William, Scotland http://www.westhighlandmuseum.org.uk/about/





Mallaig is a very small fishing village past its hayday. Lots and lots of people come to visit because the train ride is spectacular and made even more so because of the Glenfinnan Viaduct. It appears in the Harry Potter films. As does the Jacobite steam engine as it chugs its
Ben NevisBen NevisBen Nevis

The highest point in UK... did not make it ....did not try it... did not bring mountain climbing equipment.
way to Hogwarths.





After walking about the small town and taking shots of pleasing subjects I ate fresh caught Mallaig haddock in a pub at the cusp of a hill. This pub was recommended by the husband of the woman who takes care of the flowers that decorate the train station in Mallaig. In the pub I began a conversation with a lone travelling woman from New Jersey. On seeing two couples playing snooker I decided to take a picture and then they posed. We became best friends with hugs and kisses all round. Then came the chance for me to pose with a quew stick.



The new Jersey woman sat quietly in her corner while we five people had the greatest laugh.





Did not get back to the station in time to see the steam locomotive but the a young friend from the trip up will send me a pic.



On the ride back sat with two men just off a boat carrying fish food to 50 yes 50 fish farms somewhere in Scottish waters. They work three months and then have three
An Unknown FriendAn Unknown FriendAn Unknown Friend

The character sits on a bench in the square before the square that holds the Museum.
months off...all paid. There is a crew of six and they have time off two at a time. I sat opposite the captain and beside him was the crane operator who comes from Poland. Polish is the second most common language spoken in the UK... The first may be the queens english but I have not seen this in writing and some of the engkish I have heard is so heavenly accented the queen would not lay claim to it.



Saw the same two couples on the train. More laughs more hugs more kisses and some real Scottish whiskey!



The proprietress suggested an hour or two was enough in Mallaig. Thank goodness I changed the tickets. Originally was staying from early morning to like 18.00. the two hours were like so enough. Bought her a little rosebush as a very very big thankyou that I did not sit in Mallaig all day.





Beside the train station is Morrisons and I bought some more chickenn and potato salad. That was a good meal yesterday. The green salad cost 5pence. Had to ask if this was a for real price ….and it was … because of the expiry date.



After dinner in my room in front of the Tellie: packed; watched Lewis repeats on TV; did some hand laundry, dried it on heating element and fell asleep …. again with all the lights on.





The taxi is coming at 09.50 in the morning. Hate to leave this place... here one could wander around for a few more days and still have something to do... Neptune's Staircase, Jacobite Steam Engine Journey, boat cruise up and down the loch with commentary, look into ALL the shops, take bus to outlying villages. Happy to have gone to the little museum. The Heritage Centre in Maillag was not as exciting.





Will be happy not to have to watch the couple from the USA eating breakfast at the next table. What kind of trip is this for the wife when the brute of a husband sits at an angle away from her and during the whole brekkie reads his phone. And she has a horrible cold and for three days running has been hacking phlem during breakfast

Why do people go to
Lunch at MorrisonsLunch at MorrisonsLunch at Morrisons

Pubs are loud and expensive and deep fried. Macaroni and cheese a la Kraft with salad. The fried potato on the left is a taste from another customer...she ate a whole box of these.
Mallaig?​. It is a beautiful stretch of country but honestly...its the Glenfinnan Viaduct. An announcement comes over the speakers and all rush to the right side of the coach. Do they have the rights to so blatantly use the Harry Potter name. Whether yes or no they are making money hand over fist. The Jacobit Steam Train costs: second class one adult =35pounds, first class 59poounds... and you can extras....flowers, chocolates, high tea, champagne . Do not forget the booking fee...3.25

http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobite/Jac-Seats.cfm?Item_No=Jac171008173757417Int&CFID=13133987&CFTOKEN=b9b6168b08729697-E07909CE-BFE6-54E7-C02C327C23E5CAC4


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Dinner in Room OneDinner in Room One
Dinner in Room One

Chicken legand thighs, beet root and carrot salad potato salad herb dressing ....yum and under six pounds
Old AnnieOld Annie
Old Annie

There are seven dolls all together but the reflection of the glass in the fotos is bad.
Stairs to High StreetStairs to High Street
Stairs to High Street

Took a wrong right ...asked ....was directed to stairs going down the steep hill.
Type of Rock in the HillsType of Rock in the Hills
Type of Rock in the Hills

THis outcrop was right in the town of Mallaig
Pool, Snooker BillardsPool, Snooker Billards
Pool, Snooker Billards

...don't know which one but I posed.


9th October 2017

Thanks for the great pictures and for the opportunity to share your trip in this way. Barb E.

Tot: 0.474s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb