Headed out of the Highlands


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » East Lothian
May 13th 2012
Published: May 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Inverness, our northernmost visitation point in Scotland, was an amazing city. Again, as the largest city in Northern Scotland, it has combined the historically significant with the modern, on both sides of the River Ness. Their hospital is impressive and the old Castle is currently Town Hall. The Cathedral is currently closed to visitors for restoration, but it's deep doorways provided a respite from sudden showers and a picnic niche. The Culloden Battlefield visitor center is a history lesson in itself. The pride of the Highlanders is palpable throughout the center as well as in the outstanding Inverness Museum and Art Gallery that provides a free and comprehensive story of the formation of the land, the struggle to maintain control of it over the centuries and what that has meant to all of its citizens.

Loch Ness, finally. No sign of Nessie, but there was a very thorough exhibition discussing the original 'sighting' in 1933 and the subsequent scientific studies, explorations and continuing questions. We had two glorious sunny days to enjoy the immensity of Loch Ness, the beauty of the smaller lochs and the surrounding snowcapped mountains. We are traveling in the shadow of Ben Nevis, the highest peak in the UK and of course it's snow covered.

We've mentioned the BRIT STOPS concept previously, allowing free overnight parking in farm shops, pub parking lots, etc. and were fortunate enough to enjoy the hospitality of the Lochlevan Seafood Cafe that had received the 2011 Scottish Seafood Restaurant of the Year. This marvelous place was hidden on a very narrow road, putting to a lie, our concept of Location, Location, Location.

To enjoy our first really warm day and the lovely town of Oban, across from the island of MULL, we actually used our motor scooter for the first time on this trip. The motor scooter is much easier to use and park in small towns, than our 27 foot MH. The view from our shore side campsite of the loch islands and the lovely sunsets was breathtaking. We heard that snow was predicted in the Highland and since we have made a concentrated effort to avoid, snow, we headed for Crail to see our friend Barry and spent the long, bank holiday weekend enjoying Barry's company. His home in Crail was within walking distance of our campsite on the shore of the Firth of Forth and he toured us around St. Andrews and we could enjoy it from his point of view.

The Falkirk Wheel was recommended as an outstanding "must see" and what a treat it was to not only hear it's history, see it in action, but to actually take a boat ride on the canal. We were lifted the height of 11 locks in 4 minutes to the Union Canal and then after a short boat ride were 'dropped the same distance at our starting point.

As of this publication we are in Paxton, Scotland. This is in the Scottish Borders, and this morning went for the Sunday paper 5 miles away in England.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Loch Levan castleLoch Levan castle
Loch Levan castle

where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned
Urquart castleUrquart castle
Urquart castle

On Loch Ness


Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb