Highland Games


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Got up early and met with Lori & Nigel and headed off to the town of Balloch for their famous Highland Games.
OOOOOOOPPPPPssss someone forgot to update their website and tell the rest of the world that they had cancelled their Games!
Rescheduled for Sept if you are interested.
At visitor info we learned that there was another Highland Games 1 hour up the road in Alva.
Away we go!
Found a central seat and enjoyed simultaneaously... the heavies (caber tossing, Hammer throw etc), Highland dancing, races both foot & cycling, pipe bands and the high point was the hill climbing race.
Now pictures this - a cross country race, thru the mud around the track across the golf course and up the hill.
Hill!!! are you kidding me thats not a hill its a mountain. Over 60 people started this race - and "scrabbled" (anouncer's word not mine) up the mountain.
Winner was at the top in 14 minutes. At times the competitors were on all fours it was so steep.
The descent by the winner was in 7 mins and looked more like skiing. The racers were covered in mud upon completion.
Truly an event that was unique.
Bid Nigel & Lori farewell and headed off to Glasgow.
Well that's it for us. We are back on a plane tomorrow headed back to the heat (well it was hot when we left anyways)
Looking forward to being reunited with Max.
See y'all soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb