A Scottish Escape


Advertisement
Published: June 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Trip to Scotland



May day long weekend we decided to venture back to Scotland to spend a bit more time next to one of the many Lochs. We left on the Friday night straight after work and hit the M6 most of the way to Glasgow before sleeping at a services stop. Awoke early with the sun and after a quick brekkie, we headed into Glasgow for a better look around than our very brief visit at xmas time. Wandered around Finnieston Quays taking in the sites of ‘The Armadillo’ (Glasgow’s answer to the Opera house) and the Science Centre. We then ventured into the city centre which by this stage was opening up and had coffee and cake before hitting the road again.



We stopped in at a place called the Whangie, a deep chasm through the top of a mountain from which we got some lovely views down to Loch Lomond, our destination to be. Arrived around early afternoon and were escorted to our lakeside spot at the caravan park. Settled in for a relaxing time with our camping chairs out front, beers in hand and a great view over the lake.



We didn’t do too much over the next two days really. We did try some frustrating fridge adjustments to little avail though. On the Sunday we did a reasonably big walk along the Loch to the town of Rowardennan, where we stopped for a couple of ales, some over priced wedges which took forever to arrive (although we got them for free in the end!) and then headed back to camp a little lighter on our feet…at least until the beers wore off. The weather was not fantastic, with more rain than not, but it was mostly drizzle and not too bad by British standards.


By Monday morning it was time to head home so we took a bit of a detour along the South West coast of Scotland to get home. After driving across the Erskine bridge we turned right and followed the coast pretty much all the way to Ayr. Had a cuppa tea on the beach (very British I guess) and continued to the inland town of Sanquhar, home of the Oldest Post Office in the World, still operating after almost 300years.


Next stop was the impressive ruins of Sweet Heart Abbey, just below Dumfries. A mourning widow had built the Abbey in honour of her lost love. She reportedly carried her husband’s embalmed heart everywhere and was buried with it at her own demise.
By now it was time to get a move on and battle with the typical long weekend traffic to make it back for work on the Tuesday….yay! a short week.






Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Big tower - Glasgow Science centreBig tower - Glasgow Science centre
Big tower - Glasgow Science centre

Tallest rotating building apparently


Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 27; qc: 110; dbt: 0.1069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb