To the birthplace of Rabbie Burns


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Ayrshire
August 29th 2012
Published: August 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Since we'd mentioned some time ago that we've never been to Glasgow and would like to, Ian and Glenis arranged a two-day "short break". In pursuit of both families' Scottish heritages, we made the trip across on Monday a kind of pilgrimage to Alloway, near Ayr - the birthplace of Scotland's celebrated poet, Robert Burns.

Unfortunately the day was wet and rather chilly, but we had a pleasant drive across the north of England, roughly along the line of Hadrian's Wall, into Scotland at Gretna, and north-west through Dumfries and Galloway. Lunch in a sweet and friendly little tea room at Auldgirth, then on to Alloway.

We spent a pleasant afternoon at the two major sites. First was the carefully restored and maintained cottage where The Bard was born in 1759, consisting of connected byre and two-roomed living quarters. He was obviously born into a very poor family, and his father's belief in the value of learning and education formed the basis of his future success.

This was followed by a most enjoyable and informative visit to the nearby Burns Museum, full of excellent exhibits both static and interactive.

Late afternoon, and it was off to a
Afton WaterAfton WaterAfton Water

The Bard wrote "Flow gently Sweet Afton, amang thy green braes". Given the weather, it wasn't so gentle this day.
lovely country park hotel on the outskirts of Glasgow, and a wonderful dinner of fresh Scottish fare.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Burns' CottageBurns' Cottage
Burns' Cottage

Robert Burns was born in this cottage (built by his father William), on 25 January 1759, and lived there for his first seven years.
Portrait of the PoetPortrait of the Poet
Portrait of the Poet

Burns Museum, Alloway


29th August 2012

Looks very bleak and cold - a bit cooler than Yeppoon at the moment!
30th August 2012

Hello, tourists. Sounds like you are having a lovely time exploring historical sites. I hope you have plenty of warm clothes with you. No doubt Cathy is putting her new walking stick to the test. I'm enjoying following your trip on the blog. have fun. Love Ruth. xx

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.045s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb