Iona


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll
May 23rd 2012
Published: May 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

This weather is suiting us fine and could not be bettered on a good summer's day. We set off for Iona and were in Fionnphort by 9am ready for the Calmac ferry at 9.45. We only had 3/4hr so rode up to the Abbey and had a quick look around this ancient building and burial ground old Scottish Kings before heading off for our 40'th island Erraid. We went 3 miles down a rough road which turned into a track and then worse with boulders and sand etc. Bill gave up part way and walked whilst I persevered with the odd tumble when my cleats would not release from my pedals. We then had to walk across the sands to the island since there is no road, or bridge, and the only access is to walk at low tide or have your own private boat. It was then a ride back to Tony and June's for our panniers and then a push to get back over the Glen More to Craignure for the 5pm boat with 29 mins to spare. I was that keen to make progress that I overshot Tony's house by one mile and had to ride back the mile uphill, ughh! Donkey. At the end of the loch just before the junction to Ben More we stopped at a small cafe, owned by a couple from Wearside, only to be given coffee and scones to die for, just delicious. Also a fiver from a couple eating there. Thank you all. As we neared Craignure we came back into signal and our phones were buzzing with emails coming through. Bill got one with a nice person donating £125 via justgiving. Mine were just electricity and gas bills. No justice. Perhaps I am just too popular. Sitting on the deck of the ferry feels like we are on a real holiday and not doing a job, which we tell everyone we are doing. Oban looks like Blackpool with people everywhere out in the warm evening. Cycling on the CNC cycle path towards Connel and Dave and June's house is a treat on smooth tarmac. Two more islands to go; Colonsay and Oronsay, tomorrow.
Someone has to do it


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb