Colonsay to Oban


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Isle of Mull
July 28th 2006
Published: August 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Began overcast with low cloud / drizzle. Continued same much of day - some sunshine in late afternoon - too late.

Not the weather I required for my short trip to Oronsay. Bathed in the sea and then stood in the rain to wash away the salt. Two separate sessions on the i-net in the local council service centre (someone else had booked a time slot). Updated blogs, chatted in guy in charge of office and then set off on bike to Oronsay.

Arrived at The Strand (causeway like Or with Colonsay) to find that the westerly wind had delayed the tide so that the area was still water covered. Set off in bare feet and found this to be little more than ankle deep although some sharp shells underfoot. Arriving on Oronsay I then had a twenty minute walk in fine drizzle until arrived at the Priory ruins that date from the fifteenth century although St Columba in the sixth century was believed to have had a church in same position. All very interesting although photos obviously spoilt by drizzle - difficult to keep lens clean / dry.

Leaving the ruins I walked through the RSPB designated area and took pictures of various birds hopping around in the mist.

Retraced steps, packed and cleared up my beach side camp and trekked down to the ferry terminal where I changed into clothing more suitable for a night ferry journey. Things now started to go a little awry - big awry ? My only footwear was sodden which was going to be uncomfortable so dried them with paper towels, stuffed them with handkerchiefs and returned to the pier to await ship and make ‘phone calls to find accommodation in Oban. Had left it far too late - indecision basically - and found none.

Ferry crossing was pleasant enough although little to see with the fog enveloping the scene so that the ship’s fog whistle was constantly in action.

Arrived in Oban just after 10pm and went into the terminal to buy tickets for next stage of journey and enquire about accommodation. Lady gleefully explained that the group of young people outside had failed to find a bed for the night so I would have to join them outside - terminal being locked for the night. Security etc ….

So at about 1030 I found myself a quiet corner in front of the terminal - and the next few hours dragged. Fortunately it was not cold, I had dressed for the occasion and apart from one short shower it was dry. A ‘burger’ van was parked nearby in the city centre remaining open until shortly after 2am so I had warm drink to keep me going and ploughed my way through The Times. Completed most of the crossword and the Su Doku. Watched one fight outside the burger van - swiftly broken up by the police.

A long night. Terminal opened shortly before 6am and I boarded the ferry to Craignure (Mull) at 7.15. Continues …….


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb