Fort William to Mull


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Isle of Mull
September 18th 2011
Published: September 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

With diesel prices on the mainland a little lower than on Skye, we filled the tank this morning and still gulped at the price. We’ll need to keep it filled now, with only a week left until we return the car in Manchester.
Today we completed a zigzag drive past lochs and mountains to reach the departure point of the ferry to the Isle of Mull and thence to Tobermory where our hotel for the next three nights awaits.
Highlights of the drive on this fine dry morning included reflections on the glassy waters of still lochs, where huge slopes of grass and heather plunged down to the edge and autumn colours tinged the foliage lining the road. At Glenfinnan we stopped near the edge of the loch to look at a monument commemorating the Jacobite rebellion. For railway enthusiasts, this is also the site of a large viaduct, unfortunately almost obscured from view.
Before long we arrived at Lochaline, from where a vehicle ferry runs a shuttle service across to the Isle of Mull. We arrived and drove straight on board for the short trip, then it was off down the ramp and onto the island. At first we were on a broad sealed two lane highway, but very quickly we realised that was just a taste and the now familiar one way road with passing places resumed. With bright sunshine and warm temperatures we removed jackets and opened the car windows as we progressed along the beautiful coast towards Tobermory. Suddenly we came over a hill and there it was, with its picturesque harbour lined with coloured buildings. On this summery day the town looked most inviting, but ice cream was needed to fully enjoy a stroll along the waterfront. The cheerful shop assistant told us she was from Latvia and made us feel very welcome in Tobermory. Finally, it was up the hill to our hotel, where we were welcomed by a happy young Australian receptionist who had come to the Isle of Mull for a holiday and has now stayed for 10 years!
We have checked the weather forecast and today may be the only fine one, with increasing rain promised over the next two days. We plan to visit the island of Iona tomorrow and hope for some fine breaks between the showers.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb