Sept 20/11


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Aberdeenshire » Strathdon
September 20th 2011
Published: September 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Had breakfast this morning in the Dornoch Castle Dining room. The typical Scottish Breakfast consists of Eggs over easy, Haggis, Blood Pudding, Back Bacon, Pork Sausage, Fried Tomatoes, Dried prunes and tea. We just had eggs and back bacon, tea and juice. We would definitely recommend this castle to anyone. The people are very friendly, the town is picturesque, consisting mostly of cottages, and the prices aren’t crazy even though it rates at least 4 stars. Then, it was out to pick up fuel, most expensive so far at L1.46/litre. Some of the road to Kildrummy was highway but the last 25 miles or so was a twisty, bendy narrow road with a 60mph speed limit. Once at the Kildrummy Castle Hotel, we checked in and made dinner reservations. This place is upper crust and we’re a little out of our element here. Our dinner is going to cost more than I make in a day. They have a very well maintained garden path with 2 sets of little waterfalls and quaint little bridges that they charged us L9.00 to walk through. After our relaxing garden walk we got in the car and backtracked a little ways to see the Glenbuchat castle ruin and pick up a geocache. On the way up the path to the ruins, a sheep ran out in front of us and we followed it until it figured out to veer off the path. We got some great pics of this partly restored castle and the surrounding countryside, then backtracked a little more and picked up a geocache on a hill overlooking a little town with a church. We headed back then and relaxed a couple hours before our fancy meal. For dinner we both dressed up because of the opulence of the dining hall. Vicki had steak and I had Kildrummy Casserole. The steak was good but I think a good portion of my casserole was beans and wieners. Mmmm! We took our overpriced bottle of wine and water and went to the library for wifi because the signal wouldn’t reach the room. Tomorrow we’re on the road through a national park to Dundee, and back to reality.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb