Scotland - Royal Deeside and the Highlands


Advertisement
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Aberdeenshire » Ballater
July 30th 2021
Published: July 30th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Dear All Greetings from the Scottish Highlands! I’m really quite excited to be here. While there is much to see in the country, it seems that the Highlands are what make Scotland quintessentially Scotland. It is the region of high fells, forested hills, snow-capped mountains, rushing rivers and Highland Games such as tossing the caber. It is also the wildest part of Great Britain, where wild de... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 122, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Clarack LochClarack Loch
Clarack Loch

Muir of Dinnet National Nature Reserve
Clarack LochClarack Loch
Clarack Loch

Muir of Dinnet National Nature Reserve
Water LiliesWater Lilies
Water Lilies

Clarack Loch
Beetle and SpiderBeetle and Spider
Beetle and Spider

Clarack Loch
DinnetDinnet
Dinnet

Caingorms National Park
Scottish HighlanderScottish Highlander
Scottish Highlander

Loch Kinord Hotel, Dinnet
Cambus O' May Forest Trails Sign and Bus StopCambus O' May Forest Trails Sign and Bus Stop
Cambus O' May Forest Trails Sign and Bus Stop

Where my walk began and ended for the day
By Appointment to Her Majesty the QueenBy Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen
By Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen

Royal Crest of Chalmers Bakery in Ballater



31st July 2021
Balmoral Castle

Balmoral
Amazing, never knew Balmoral was open to the public, even if it is only between April and July. I think the Queen spends the whole of August at Balmoral. I believe she doesn't spent much time in London as her main residence is Windsor. No full breakfast is the same without Black Pudding ?
31st July 2021
Balmoral Castle

Balmoral
Ah, yes, what a choice of residences - Buckingham Palace, Windsor, Balmoral! I enjoyed my visit to Balmoral very much. Ah, no, not me - black pudding, and haggis, are both off the menu for me, lol! ?
31st July 2021
Glenmuick Church

Beautiful reflection
Lovely architecture.
31st July 2021
Glenmuick Church

Reflection
Thank you Merry ? It had been raining heavily that day, and I took advantage of the big puddle!
31st July 2021

The joys of the Scottish Highlands
Your words presented the beauty of this area and yes it makes sense that it is one of the more lovely areas since the Royal family spends time there. Your blog gave a sense of serenity and beauty. I"m glad you got in the castle. That's great! All of these trips must give you great stories to share with your students. You must challenge them to get their families out to see what is close to them. I loved the story about the little frogs.
31st July 2021

Scottish Highlands
Thank you for all of your lovely comments Merry, and for reading my blogs ? It was certainly a beautiful part of the Scottish Highlands, and indeed I can see why the Royal Family spends time there. I think many of us are "staycationing" this year, and probably like myself, are impressed with what we have right here in our own countries. The little frogs were tiny, and amazing to see.
31st July 2021
Tiny Frog, No Bigger than one's Little Finger Nail

Precious
They are tiny.
31st July 2021
Tiny Frog, No Bigger than one's Little Finger Nail

Precious
Indeed, so tiny! I think the nearby pieces of grit and stone give a good sense of perspective here.
11th August 2021

Highland Games
Too bad the Highland Games weren't going on when you were there, that must be a magnificent sight! I went to many (I'm sure way smaller) Highland Games when I was a child - I was a Highland dancer. We had quite a lot of them in Victoria where I grew up (Victoria is the capital of British Columbia, located on Vancouver Island). I love the bagpipes!
11th August 2021

Highland Games
Indeed, it was a shame the Games weren't on, but I felt I could imagine the spectacle - the Highland atmosphere seemed to be there! Wow, sounds like you may have a bit of Scottish ancestry, or at least some connections. I have noted similarity between Scottish and Canadian place names, such as Banff and Elgin, and also the landscape around here. I imagine many Scottish people may have emigrated to Canada not so long ago.
8th September 2021
Walk to Bridge of Muick

So Much to Enjoy!
Alex, still trying to catch up reading your Scotland blogs, but of the areas you've written about, this is my favorite so far! So much to enjoy on your rambles from the forest carpet of tiny frogs, to Balmoral Castle, to the site where the Highlands Games are held in Braemar (would love to see the games), to Burn O' Vat (just gorgeous), and more! Great write up and photos, especially love the moss-covered rocks!! I'm with you -- no haggis or black pudding (or for that matter, white pudding) for me either!!
8th September 2021
Walk to Bridge of Muick

Scotland
Thank you for your lovely comment Sylvia, and for reading my blogs. I did write quite a lot...! It's so nice to read that you've enjoyed reading them. Indeed, I think Ballater and around was one of my favourite spots that I visited. I found my first experience of the Highlands on this trip really magical. I loved the forests, and the history. I did end up trying Haggis later in my trip, but I don't think I'll be trying it again...! ? Thanks again for reading, and I hope you've had a good summer ?
22nd September 2021

Scotland & its amazing castles
Great blog Alex. I have posted some of your castle pics in TB's "Palaces & Castles" thread in the Photography Forum. Check 'em out.
23rd September 2021

Scotland's Castles
Wow, that's great. Thanks Dave ? I like the amazing photos of castles there from all around the world, a real visual and historical treat ?
27th September 2021
Balmoral Castle

That's a cool castle
Impressive castle. It really looks medieval. /Ake
28th September 2021
Balmoral Castle

Balmoral Castle
Indeed, it was an impressive castle to behold. It was built in the 19th century for Queen Victoria, in the popular Scottish baronial style of the time, reminiscent indeed of their medieval, more functional counterparts. It still serves today as the Queen's summer retreat.

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb