Thursday, July 31


Advertisement
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today was the day we selected to head to the town of Carrickfergus, home of the famous Carrickfergus Castle. Like Grey Abbey, the original structure of this castle dates to the 1100's. There were some ideas that were quite revolutionary...including the very brutal "Murder Hole," and the three latrines that emptied right into the sea (see photo)!

After returning home, we had a special evening of classes. The ladies class was taught by Kelly, and Bill taught the guys in one final session on personal evangelism. There were 24 people packed into the Grahams' house...the most they can ever remember being here at one time. Afterward, we all gathered for tea & biscuits, and we sat around singing traditional Irish songs (with some of Bill's old country & bluegrass favorites mixed in).

Tomorrow will be our last full day in Northern Ireland. We pick up our rental car in Belfast on Saturday morning, then head for our cottage in the northwest of the Republic of Ireland. The Snells will spend their vacation week in and around Dublin. We'll meet back up with them in Dublin, spending our last two nights right in the city center.

We'll check in
"The Murder Hole""The Murder Hole""The Murder Hole"

A vicious tactic used by the soldiers in defending Carrickfergus Castle.
again late Friday evening with one last report from the North.

Thanks for reading!

-- Ryan & Kelly


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Carrickfergus CastleCarrickfergus Castle
Carrickfergus Castle

Looking out over Belfast Lough


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb