The Giant's Causeway


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland » County Antrim » Antrim
September 9th 2007
Published: November 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Despite the tourist mecca Ireland has become, travellers often fail to head to the north. Northern Ireland, with its recent history of political and civil unrest, is often overlooked as a tourist destination without due consideration of the many appealing aspects of its truly unique natural landscape. As we were to discover, Northern Ireland offers natural beauty on a grand scale. Again, a weekend adventure took us north from Belfast to the city of Derry, once THE hotspot of the 'troubles' but now a city trying to rebuild itself on the backbones of its long history, its unique city achitecture (wth the old city walls still intact )and its emerging identity as a modern, progressive centre. We took a tour offered by a local guide which gave a wonderful local insight into the both proud and troubled history of the city, indeed indicating how tenuous the current climate of peace really is. The hopes of the people are very much resting with the united government partnership initiatiated earlier this year, with a focus on maintaining peace in the city, and indeed Northern Ireland as a whole.

We travelled along the north coast, passing through the coastal towns of Port Stewart and Port Rush, stopping overnight at a lovely little hostel in Castlerock. We awoke to the sounds of the ocean and a beach view the next morning, and found ourselves very conveniently located to the Mussendon Temple. This small circular building, located at a clifftop with 360 degree ocean views, was once intended to be the library of a rather grand estate. Its now the only intact building on the site, and is a very commanding feature along the otherwise bare coastline.

With lots of outdoorsy things planned for the day, a quick stop at the Bushmills Whiskey Distillery was also top of the agenda, purely for some 'culture' of course. Adam wholeheartedly enjoyed sampling a range of good quality whiskey while I barely managed to drink my very tiny 'hot toddy'. The other source of culture came unexpectedly during a quick stop to ruins of the Castle Dunluce, a once glorious and formidible site, where 'knights' were recreating sword battles for public display. To watch the sword action was quite alarming-Adam, needless to say, was captivated.

We then hightailed it to the real highlight of the trip, the magnificant Giant's Causeway. This unique natural landform was created by volcanic activity at the site a long time ago. What has resulted is an area containing magnificant cliffs and a collection of rock formations of varying size and form that one can walk and climb on whilst marvelling at their true uniqueness. It really is unlike anything I've ever seen before.

We also stopped at the rather harrowing Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, literally a rope bridge suspended between two cliff areas, that manages to work up quite a swing if the wind is blowing just right. We both crossed, Adam barely blinking at the height whilst I was holding on very tight and endeavouring not to look down lest I be unable to continue further.

Unfortunately our weekend then drew to a close, with many areas left unexplored due to time constraints. We both vowed to come north exploring again as there really is so much beauty to be seen. There's little need to travel far from Belfast city before one stumbles across the natural paradise of County Antrim.






Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



11th November 2007

thanks
hi reading this made my day,i'm pleased you liked my part of the world and hope it brings a few more visitors to the beautiful north coast

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb