Home


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
November 15th 2015
Published: November 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

15 November 2015

We arrived in Birmingham at 12.30pm, tired after an 18 hour flight but happy to see Emma and the boys, who were at the airport to meet us and swiftly whisk us home.

Our first visit to Africa has been as memorable and fulfilling as we hoped it would be and we were very lucky to see the wildlife and geological features in pretty well perfect weather conditions in the company of a group of likeminded and friendly companions. The people of all the countries we visited made us extremely welcome and were always more than happy to give us their help when it was needed. It has been particularly beneficial being a linear journey because we were able to view similar wildlife but in quite different surroundings and visit places in remote locations which would otherwise have been difficult to get to.

Anyone considering joining this trip in the future shouldn’t expect a restful holiday, it is a hard expedition with driving most days, sometimes in remote locations on rough roads and often requiring an early start. We tended to rise when or sometimes before the sun made an appearance and got to bed not long after it had set. Although the day book provided by the Camping and Caravanning Club is full of useful information, to get the most out of the wide range of places visited, further research is needed by using good guide and reference books and talking to friends who have visited Southern Africa.

Our special thanks are firstly due to Nelson and Barbara Lacey and Rian Snyman who delivered the whole party safely to Cape Town and secondly Roy and Kath Tipping who were our travelling companions on the more difficult sections of the journey and put up with my tendency to stop and take photos in the most inappropriate locations.

We drove 6,600 kilometres, approximately 700 of which were on gravel roads.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb