We head down to the South Coast - Kent to Sussex


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
July 3rd 2015
Published: July 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Friday 3 July - Picked up our rental car, was a strange system, we could choose any car from Group 1 (economy!) that had keys in it, and amongst a row of black and white cars it stood out, a yellow and black Citroen! Our Hurricanes car! No choice really. Headed off to see the real England, but first a visit to Kew Gardens, which are huge - and quite stunning. Got to our Kent Farm accommodation late after we called in to see the pub where we worked in 1980, the Bulls Head in Chiselhurst. Next day we were full on, visited Leeds and Castles, both splendid, especially with all of the summer flowers out. Funny thing about Leeds, it was very expensive, so we decided to walk on the public footpath get a look at it. Wandered through a big farm gate wide open, after walking for a while we realised we were in the grounds of the castle! Kept waiting for someone to ask for money or tickets but no one did! Leeds is a 'real' castle with a big moat round it and very old, thick walls, lovely inside, Sissinghurst is famous for its gardens, which are magnificent. Met Sue and Mark (from our Cuba trip) in Hastings for dinner, was lovely to see them both again, such good company.

Sunday, we explored Hastings, an old fishing port but with no harbour, apparently the only one in England, they haul the boats up by tractor. The foreshore is dotted with tall black wooden huts where fishermen traditionally hung their nets. Visited Battle Abbey, site of the 1066 Norman Conquest, and Bodiam Castle, which was a ruin with a moat and monstrous carp, very atmospheric! Managed to fit in a walk up on Beachy Head, before heading to our South Downs Cottage for the next 3 nights. Met the local chaplain up on the headland, unfortunately it's a popular suicide spot, so they do full time duty up there. Next stop, a wee place near Washington on the South Downs, half an hour out from Brighton.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement


Sissinghurst Castle Sissinghurst Castle
Sissinghurst Castle

Home of Vita Sackville-West


Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb