Environment


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
October 28th 2014
Published: October 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I've got some time off for Halloween and I've bee very ill after a ten mile walk last week with a cold, then I smacked my head on a window seal so I wake up with anging headaches as well. Unfortunately I'm not really proactive during the day and like to watch some recorded TV like The Simpsons or Fraiser to pass the day, but I'm also getting back into my exercise too. Right now I'm sat in the gentle breeze enjoying the last few days of afternoon sun before the winter kicks in.

Yesterday my boyfriend said he can't wait to go on a date with the most beautiful girl ever if I go to Japan, that made my week. He can be such a charmer.

I mentioned I got inspired after a university talk and went straight onto the UCAS website to look for some Japanese courses in a uni called SOAS, alas there's a four year one with a third year to study abroad in all different universities across Japan including Osaka, Kyushu, Kyoto and even Hokkaido. So tomorrow I'm setting off to London on my own tosee what it is all about- I know I've always thought education is not really for me in socialising and studying- Travel is what I want, but studying Japan and the language is what I really want- and if people enrolling think the same, I think it'll be a breeze. I'm quite excited, but I do not know what to expect, it may turn out I have the wrong qualifications or not enough for this course, but it's a day out. I've been alone mainly because dad's at work-- boo!!

After the college half term holiday, I'll be going on a trip to the World Travel Market conference, held annually in London. It'll give us an active chance to talk to employees about different jobs within travel. We're expected to take advantage of this opportunity by wearing smart clothes and professional CV's for a chance for potential future employment.

Next month, when I get my allowance I'm going to buy a book on Kansai- I have no idea how I'm going to coincide this with my standard Japanese studies, but I'll try it, I think my boyfriend will be more up to helping me as he insists he hates talking standard. I don't often hear him talk Japanese to me, rather when with his parents, but it is interesting to say the least when he talks.

We mainly talk English because I'm lazy. but if I can say sentences in Japanese then I do and talk more and more after I do independent studying.

But now he's told me he's interested in Kyoto Ben as well!! Which from what I heard is actually quite romantic as oppose to other Japanese I've heard.





These days, during my time off I've decided to really surround myself with Japanese TV- or YouTube, so I've found tutorials, film dramas and YouTuber's to help me.


Sensitive Samurai



I cam about this by chance two weeks ago, it's based in ancient Edo, so plenty of Geisha and old fashioned Japanese themed houses and town's which is what I really would like to witness, from what I can hear by the tone of their voice, they're speaking Kyoto Ben, which baffled me at first because their words didn't match what I was learning until my Boyfriend mentioned it. The story also follows life in the Edo period so it's quite different from Japan today so it is educational in many ways. I'm half way through the first episode so I'll make time soon to finish it and the next half.

BEGIN Japanology - Hiragana



Before I commenced my studies with Japanese For Busy People last night, I saw this on YouTube and I had to watch it. It's a 30 minute documentary presented by the softly spoken Peter Barakan whom I believe is half British. It aired on NHK a while ago and I believe they have a new format on this program too. Unfortunately the translation is dubbed over so you can't listen and read the subtitles, however, the history of how Hiragana came to be is really quite useful.






One Character Kyoto Dialect! / 一文字の京都弁




On my hunt to find some Kyoto Ben phrases and books, I found a video of a charming lady from Kyoto who is just such a happy and enthusiastic lady. She mixes her videos between English and Japanese naturally and is always smiling. I found myself still watching her short video's over an hour later- she just made me so happy. She has also done travel videos around different parts of Japan, sharing her journey's to different temples and shrines. Her house is a cute little traditional one with Calligraphy brushes in the background and Tatami matting- she even does beautiful Geisha dances in full kimono.



Massan - Trailer



My boyfriend rarely watches TV other than the news or weather, but he found this 15 minute drama which is broadcast daily on NHK. It's about a Scottish Gaijin lady marrying a Japanese guy-- and that's all I can tell you because I can't find a English version. He was really enthusiastic I watched it and I'm trying hard to find a script. Sometimes we watch it together through Skype and it's quite simple to follow the basica story line, it would just be nice to really know what they're saying and learn through this. My


Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0964s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb