Yorkshire


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
June 11th 2012
Published: June 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are staying in a small village called Lamesley , it is just north of Durham and Newcastle. We are here tonight and we head up to Edinburgh tomorrow.

We had a lovely time in York despite the weather. We stayed in a small B&B very close to the city centre. Our room was fairly small but it was in a great position for us to see everthing on foot. York is not a good city to drive in, the traffic was a bit of a nightmare. We had some good weather while we were there. The mornings were lovely but the afternoons clouded over and of course rained.

One afternoon we went on a 2 hour historical walking tour, it was so interesting. It is hard to believe that York is 2,000 years old. So much history in one small area. We heard all about the wars and the politics that shaped the area. The tour is run by volunteers and they accept no payment, they do it because they want to tell people about the wonderful history of York.

We drove to the seaside town of Whitby on Sunday. I had read so much about this delightful place and it did not disappoint. It was quite cold but the rain held off for most of the day.

We went for a walk up the hill to 'Whitby Abbey' this morning before we left. The views were great! Just like a post card.

We have just had a late lunch at the pub where we are staying, it is a cosy country hotel. I hope they have the fire going tonight!

Graeme is thinking of going for a run but it might be too dangerous on the country road. There is no shoulder on the side of the road and the roads are quite narrow.

We are looking forward to spending a few days in Edinburgh. We are staying in a unit on the Royal Mile, it belongs to our friend Fiona (Alice Springs days). Graeme is going to drive into the city and we will put the car in a nearby car park and leave it there until we leave. Edinburgh traffic is really bad and it is not a good place to drive in! Thank goodness we have Geni GPS, it really does make life a lot easier......no arguments! Though Graeme has sworn at her a couple of times...better her than me.

So we are looking forward to seeing the Scottish Highlands. We have heard so much about it from our friends Geoff and Mon, they have just come back from there. Our plan is to go to the Isle of Skye and then to the area around Inverness.

We hope everyone is all fit and well and not too cold.

Xx S&G


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

UploadedFile7UploadedFile7
UploadedFile7

Fish and chips in Whitby.


Tot: 0.547s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb